Retro TT bike

simon_masterson
simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
edited November 2017 in Your road bikes
My TT machine that started off as a bit of fun and ended up being my main racing iron. It's an old bespoke TT frame from (I think) the early '90s, in oversized Columbus tubes, which I bought from a guy that sandblasted it, so I sent it to Mercian for a paintjob.

Was originally inspired by Ian Cammish's pink bike from the early '80s (hence the colour), but realised while I was waiting to get it back how good it would be as a more modern TT machine, more in the vein of what Boardman and Dangerfield et al used to ride 20 odd years ago, just with some modern bits... A few changes planned for next season (eg. bar end shifting), but it's nigh on perfect.

Last race of the season was two weekends ago, 21:07 in an absolute monsoon on the E2.

2565rp1.jpg

Comments

• Awesome. Love it!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    That looks amazing, I love it ! ... and how many teeth has that front ring got it looks massive, what is it 56 ??? ... it could sing for the Osmonds
  • Awesome
    left the forum March 2023
  • Great work!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Possibly mid/late nineties as road/TT bikes still using quill stems in the early nineties.
  • fat daddy wrote:
    That looks amazing, I love it ! ... and how many teeth has that front ring got it looks massive, what is it 56 ??? ... it could sing for the Osmonds

It's a 57, I started off using a 12 up so still had a lower top gear than 54x11, but now using an 11-21 9 speed. It's nice being able to do 30mph+ at reasonable cadence with good chainline.
  • Possibly mid/late nineties as road/TT bikes still using quill stems in the early nineties.

I had a nice black Cinelli XA on there to start with, but it kept slipping. I had planned to buy that Nitto stem in the quill version but ended up with the ahead version and decided to stick with it - I think it's a good fit with the rest of the spec. I really hate quill adaptors but it doesn't look too bad in fairness, and I managed to find a nice 1" carbon aero fork a few weeks ago, so I will put that on, and at some point send the frameset back to Mercian for a new fork column.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Thats awesome, love it!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Purely belter.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MrATX
    MrATX Posts: 8
    love the attitude
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    What's a racing iron? Is that one you use when you're running late but need a shirt pressing?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.