2019 worlds in Yorkshire

dave milne
dave milne Posts: 703
edited October 2017 in Pro race
Anyone think it's worth taking a punt on the date - i.e. Mens RR will be 3rd weekend in September?

Thinking of trying to get a hotel in Harrogate now

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Would Hotels be booking so far in advance ? They will be able to increase the prices when they find out - so I'm not sure they'd be that keen on doing themselves out of money.

I'd only try if there's no fee for cancellation if the date is wrong ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Let's look at it logically.

The Tour de France starts on 29th June - confirmed. Which means it ends on 20 July.

The Vuelta starts four weeks after the start of the Tour - August 17. So finishes on 8 September.

The Worlds week starts the following Sunday.

So best guess is September 15-22
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yeah dates make sense to me.

some hotels will take a booking if you phone up. Agreed the websites won't let you. Managed it for the TDF start in yorkshire I booked as soon as it was announced.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,336
    See if you can get some type of cancelation insurance from your credit card if the hotel doesn't play ball.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • I was looking at Harrogate hotels at the weekend too.

I thought the Tour de France is now starting on 7th July to avoid too much of an overlap with the World Cup. Also, looks like the Vuelta starts on 25th August, so that shifts things forward a week...

The Worlds tend to end on the last Sunday of September... so could be 22-29 September?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    paul_sw wrote:
    I thought the Tour de France is now starting on 7th July to avoid too much of an overlap with the World Cup. Also, looks like the Vuelta starts on 25th August, so that shifts things forward a week...
    That's next year (2018). Yorkshire is 2019.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • good point - that scuppers my theory somewhat!!
  • Had the course been confirmed ?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Who designs the course and how much leeway do they have?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Who designs the course and how much leeway do they have?
    Don't how it's normally done, but the World's road-race course next year at Innsbrück was worked out between Austrian ex-professional (and twice Tour of Austria winner) Thomas Rohregger and UCI officials. Rohregger was named as 'sport director' for next year's World's, with responsibility for course planning.

I think they covered parts of the 2018 World's RR course last April, during the first two stages of the Tour of the Alps (eventual winner - Thomas).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,540
    Who designs the course and how much leeway do they have?

We should have another go at BR designing Worlds courses.

I believe my route was a rather tricky route through Sheffield.

I'll dig out the thread.
  • Did you ever find the thread Rick? As someone who grew up there, I'd be intrigued to hear your route through Sheffield...