Cassette / Freehub Movement

mr_mojo
mr_mojo Posts: 200
edited September 2017 in Workshop
I have a pair of Campagnolo Neutron wheels from approx 2001/02 and have an issue with the rear freehub or cassette. The wheels are in very good condition and are fitted to a same vintage Colnago C40 so want to keep them. The cassette is 10 speed.

There is lateral movement in the cassette, i.e. It moves from side to side when the Lockring is fully tightened probably about 3 to 4mm. I have removed the freehub, cleaned, regreased and lubricated the parts and reinstalled and although there is no noticeable movement when the cassette is off when the cassette if fitted the movement is back.

Trying to find a replacement new freehub is proving impossible so any ideas on how to fix?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sounds like it's missing a spacer behind the cassette?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    It's not clear from your posting whether the movement is between the cassette and freehub or between freehub and spindle/hub body?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mr_mojo
    keef66 wrote:
    Sounds like it's missing a spacer behind the cassette?

I have the same hubs fitted to a pair Campagnolo Eurus wheels of a similar vintage and they have no spacer behind the cassette and there is no movement.
    Svetty wrote:
    It's not clear from your posting whether the movement is between the cassette and freehub or between freehub and spindle/hub body?

I believe it’s the freehub moving on the axle and not the cassette moving on the freehub.
  • keef66
    I have no Campag experience but it sounds most odd that there is apparently no movement of the freehub until you install the cassette...

No sign of a failed bearing / broken axle?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The cassette just increases the leverage and makes the play more apparent. Freehub bearing likely worn......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mr_mojo
    An update on my freehub issue. I managed to pick a brand new freehub and axle up of eBay for just £50, fitted it last night and movement now gone. As mentioned the old freehub must have been worn.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    You could have saved yourself £40 by replacing just the two bearings for £10.......
  • keef66
    Keezx wrote:
    You could have saved yourself £40 by replacing just the two bearings for £10.......

Well that's not very helpful now, is it??

Where were you 2 weeks ago?
  • mr_mojo
    Keezx wrote:

Very true, but I can replace the bearings in the old freehub and keep it as a spare. They're quite hard to get hold of now so worth repairing and keeping.
  • keef66
    Mr_Mojo wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

Very true, but I can replace the bearings in the old freehub and keep it as a spare. They're quite hard to get hold of now so worth repairing and keeping.

Excellent positive mental attitude there!
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    keef66 wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

Well that's not very helpful now, is it??

Where were you 2 weeks ago?

I'm sooo sorry man...
    Did'nt read it before and maybe the TS has learned something now for the future.....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    keef66 wrote:
    I have no Campag experience but it sounds most odd that there is apparently no movement of the freehub until you install the cassette...

No sign of a failed bearing / broken axle?
    Posted the day after your first post?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.