No beards, innit

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
edited October 2017 in Pro race
http://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170921_03087005

Emil Planckaert's team Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise won't be wearing beards.

Wie een contract tekent bij wielerploeg Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise weet dat een baard verboden is. Dat vertelt belofte Emiel Planckaert in de krant en het wordt bevestigd door ploegleider Walter Planckaert, overigens geen familie van de renner.
“Ik doe dat voor de elegantie van het wielrennen. Wij zijn coureurs, geen motorcrossers of rugbyspelers. Niets tegen motorcross, maar een renner met een baard past niet. Snot en etensresten in de baard van een coureur, dat is vies.”

En wat als een renner zijn baard niet wil scheren? “Dan moet hij maar een andere ploeg zoeken”, aldus Walter Planckaert.

Beards are bannned for the "elegance of cycling".
"We're riders, not motocrossers or rugby players (I hope you Brits sense how little Belgians think of rugby ;)) Nothing against motorcrlss but a beard doesn't suit a cyclist. Snot and food gets caught up in it; it's disgusting."

And if a rider doesn't want to shave their beard off? "Then he can go ride in another team".

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Makes sense - marginal gains....
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I would like to subscribe to their newsletter.

#nobeards
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    What about moustaches? What's more traditional in cycling than a moustache? It was about twenty years before someone won the Tour de France tachless
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Snot en etensresten in de baard van een coureur, dat is vies.”

6ZE_mr_twit.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    Groot gelijk.
  • You use 'Innit' far too frequently for it to be ironic, no?
    You might have had a response from a pro cyclist on Twitter, you may even have chatted to a 'journo', but ultimately, you still know nothing. You're not an insider, no matter how much you wish you are.
  • rick_chasey
    Sorry, do I know you?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    What's with the outbreaks of Dutch/Flemish? Is there some sort of exclusive secret inner sanctum going on? I've tried rubbing the screen with Edam and dousing it in Westmalle Tripel... still gibberish.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    What's with the outbreaks of Dutch/Flemish? Is there some sort of exclusive secret inner sanctum going on? I've tried rubbing the screen with Edam and dousing it in Westmalle Tripel... still gibberish.

Sorry hoor! Try drinking the Westmalle Tripel, I find it helps, especially with pronunciation. The Edam you can leave, unless it has an orange rind, we pawn the red stuff off on the foreigners.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Sorry hoor! Try drinking the Westmalle Tripel, I find it helps, especially with pronunciation. The Edam you can leave, unless it has an orange rind, we pawn the red stuff off on the foreigners.

Well there's no need for that
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Ever since Team GB went public about the 'ladyshave' policy, every team needs a shaving rule.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Rude!
  • rick_chasey
    mrfpb wrote:
    Ever since Team GB went public about the 'ladyshave' policy, every team needs a shaving rule.

Er what policy is that?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    How do you tell a gold medal winning cyclist she needs to stop getting bikini waxes? “It was a tricky one to broach,” admits Phil Burt, British Cycling’s long-time physiotherapist. “But we knew that we had to try to persuade the girls to stop shaving and waxing if we were going to sort out the saddle pain we knew all of them were suffering with. At one point we were saying: ‘Should we be buying the girls beard-trimmers?’”
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... ore-medals

It goes closer than that.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    FocusZing wrote:
    How do you tell a gold medal winning cyclist she needs to stop getting bikini waxes? “It was a tricky one to broach,” admits Phil Burt, British Cycling’s long-time physiotherapist. “But we knew that we had to try to persuade the girls to stop shaving and waxing if we were going to sort out the saddle pain we knew all of them were suffering with. At one point we were saying: ‘Should we be buying the girls beard-trimmers?’”
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... ore-medals

It goes closer than that.
    I thought it was going to say something else... that was a close shave.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Rude!

'Tis a great language as you can see!
  • Their employer, their rules. I'm from the US. Lots of "professional" job employers make men be clean shaven at work. I'm lucky, I work in engineering and it's more lax. We have guys with ZZ Top beards here.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Their employer, their rules. I'm from the US. Lots of "professional" job employers make men be clean shaven at work. I'm lucky, I work in engineering and it's more lax. We have guys with ZZ Top beards here.
    When I last worked in the UK (a while back now, for a few years I've been 'on the continent'), like burnthesheep, I was also in engineering, but in contrast to his experiences, where I worked one had to ask the permission of management to grow a beard.
    This although we staff never met members of the press or public, nor were ever expected to wear a tie, shirt, tweed jacket (ugh!), or whatever else (no one even ever said we needed to wear trousers). Just for some reason, beards were out.
    When I was taken on, I already had a beard, so was exempt from these rules, but existing employees weren't.
  • Their employer, their rules. I'm from the US. Lots of "professional" job employers make men be clean shaven at work. I'm lucky, I work in engineering and it's more lax. We have guys with ZZ Top beards here.

Bullocks to that unless it can be justified it should be illegal as with requiring women to wear high heels and other such nonsense.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    So who are the top ten bearded (racing) cyclists?

Luca Paolini, Bradley Wiggins, Peter Sagan and the Russian in American Flyers are surely automatic selections. Simon Geschke is a decent pick. Sean Eadie on the track. Who else?

No stubble. And I'm undecided about goatees despite having one myself for a couple of years.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    So who are the top ten bearded (racing) cyclists?

Luca Paolini, Bradley Wiggins, Peter Sagan and the Russian in American Flyers are surely automatic selections. Simon Geschke is a decent pick. Sean Eadie on the track. Who else?

No stubble. And I'm undecided about goatees despite having one myself for a couple of years.

:lol:
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Who else?

Dan Craven.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Sean Conway? Not an elite pro, but he has broken some records, which is kind of like racing (tenuous...)
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    The 'Hot Sauce Cycling' Canadian pro cross racer has superb whiskers.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The fashion for hypster beards has lasted quite a while because balding people can have them and join in on a hair related fashion for once, this and that the look detracts the eye from the fact they are losing their hair so they do it. Fact.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    At what point does stubble become a beard? You can't ban stubble as all men will have some to a degree. If it was the UK or the US I would expect a law suit down the line if someone got sacked. That said, I'm not sure why anyone spending so much time racing a bike would want a beard. You'll end up with a ridiculous tan if you shave it off in addition to the potential for overheating and hygiene aspects.

Laurens ten Dam should presumably be on Rich's list and those infamous photos are a prime example of why no-one should race with a beard!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    This can be seen as religious discrimination.
  • RichN95.
    Garry H wrote:
    Hipster is not a religion
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    RichN95 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Hipster is not a religion

Some would argue with you.
  • I was tempted to join the Navy just so I could grow a beard.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.