New Bike, Advice Please!

Snowtektv
Snowtektv Posts: 5
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hey all, I'm looking at getting my first proper MTB to go on trails with my dad. I've been pretty focused on getting a Cube hardtail since he has a Cube FS and hasn't had any complaints (yeah, that's how little knowledge I have.. :? )..

Anyways, I've tried to go into my local bike shops but they all sell bikes by companies I've not heard of so figured I'd do most of my search online..

These 2 are the ones I've been looking at the most due to the colour schemes and from what little knowledge I have with the components:

Cube Reaction GTC Race

Cube Reaction HPA SL

but then I also found this, and I absolutely love the way it looks!:

Saracen Zenith Trail

Now considering I can get the three of these for the same price, is there any major difference in components? Or are they all more or less equal? I cant get my head around geomotry or anything so I can't decide which will be better but yeah...

Also, how does this Cube Acid 2018 Compare to those when considering the price drop?? - This might be another option depending on money at time of purchasing!

Not knowing too much about bikes, even with looking at them for the past few weeks, I'm still finding myself basing them on looks so any advice would be massively appreciated!!

Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All are pretty similar 29er racy hardtails, will they be suited to the type of riding you will be doing?
    The GTC and the HPA have simlar forks, the Saracen and Acid suffer a bit on parts quality by comparison.

Of the four I'd go for the GTC as I prefer Rockshox forks to Fox, but really there is little in it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks! I was drawn to the GTC originally and then when I found it with that sale price I thought it was a pretty decent sale considering.. Does the Saracen not compare to it then in terms of component quality? I really like the look of the Saracen.. haha What about the shocks with between the Saracen and GTC??

Also, with the Acid, is that a good bike for the price?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Forks on the Acid really aren't good enough for the asking price, at £900 i'd expect alloy stanchions and the consummate improvement in other parts quality.
    The Saracen is OK, slightly more trail orientated and better forks than the Acid, but not up with the other cubes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I think it's a really tricky question to answer without knowing what type of riding you are doing as that will have a big factor on what bike is best for you. There may also be other brands that suit better for the price range.

I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference and without riding the bikes you won't really know what feels right. I am now only getting to grips with what I might change on mine 2 years on and potentially if I had tried a few first I might have got a better option out of the box!

Are you in a position to try any of them out or other options?
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)