Carrera Kraken 2015 Upgrade Advice

luca_lazzeri
luca_lazzeri Posts: 11
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
Right so I own a 2015 Carrera Kraken and I'm thinking about upgrading it to an 11 speed and I just want to make sure that the parts I'm planning on buying are for a good fair price, so here's the links: derailleur, https://goo.gl/xkgbkushifters, https://goo.gl/TWvSf3 cassette, https://goo.gl/U7PJAN and the chain https://goo.gl/xaefwE

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ultegra is a road derailleur. You might want to check that the cable pull is the same as MTB mechs.

You will likely also find the capacity is low, like up to about 28t, so won't work with a 42 cassette.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Ultegra is a road derailleur. You might want to check that the cable pull is the same as MTB mechs.

You will likely also find the capacity is low, like up to about 28t, so won't work with a 42 cassette.
    I have no clue what that means could you simplify it for me I'm quite new to upgrading bike parts and stuff.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Your rear mech is for road gears. It can't cope with the lower gears for MTB. It's not going to work.

Going to 11 speed probably isn't worth it unless your current gears are all worn out.
  • cougie wrote:
    Your rear mech is for road gears. It can't cope with the lower gears for MTB. It's not going to work.

Going to 11 speed probably isn't worth it unless your current gears are all worn out.
    Ah ok thanks for the input.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Going from a 9 speed rear to an 11 speed isn't necesarily an upgrade, it's just different, what are you actually trying to achieve?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'm not sure I'd bother changing, it's expensive and won't really accomplish much. Sram NX is probably the obvious cheapish choice for decent 1x11, but even then the groupset is about £230 as you'd really want a new crank set too to keep the chain line straight.
  • The Rookie
    Chain reaction do the complete SLX 1x10 drive groupset for £225, and it's better than NX, but I'd agree with the observations otherwise.

I converted from 9 speed to 1x10 for the princely sum of £98.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Going from a 9 speed rear to an 11 speed isn't necesarily an upgrade, it's just different, what are you actually trying to achieve?
    To be honest I just want it so I can say my bike is different to my friends who have the same bike.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easier to paint it pink and tell them you have a giant dick.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:
    To be honest I just want it so I can say my bike is different to my friends who have the same bike.
    Take off the big ring and stick a bashguard on it, remove reflectors and the dork dish behind the cassette, you could even fit a narrow wide on the front and go 1x for minimal cost (about £20 and you could get a red one as everyone knows red bits are faster), get a wide range cassette if you really need it (I rode 1x9 for about 5 years on an 11:34 just fine).