Smart trainer in freezing temperatures

Rocceral
Rocceral Posts: 2
Hi everyone, I'm looking to get my first smart trainer. However the only available space I have is out in the garage. I live in northern Maine so during the winter months it will be below freezing and even sub zero. I plan for n using some sort of space heater to warm the area slightly when in use. Will these temperatures have any ill effects on the trainer both during use and when not in use?

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    My worry with it would be in use it will get warm and then when it gets cold, you may get condensation build up inside it.
    That could kill the electronics
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    a neo folds up pretty small, could you store it anywhere indoors when not in use and leave the rest of the stuff outside if space is an issue?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Chris Bass wrote:
    a neo folds up pretty small, could you store it anywhere indoors when not in use and leave the rest of the stuff outside if space is an issue?

The Tacx Neo just weighs a tonne, literally.
    It must be the most heaviest object I own and not easy to carry around.

*Apparently its 22Kg. But in my opinion it feels heavier to carry around.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ben@31 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

I carried mine, in the box, back from Evans to work. Just under a mile. I didn't then use it for days because my body was utterly done in.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Not surprised, apparently they weigh a tonne, literally.
  • I would hold fire on the heater if you dont already own one. Even at sub zero in my garage I'd be stripped to the waist with a fan on if I'm doing a turbo session. If Maine gets down to sort of minus 10 you may want to consider a base layer to take the edge off the wind chill but I doubt a heater will get much use.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I dont see the point in warming the garage when in use either. If you were warming it to stop it getting too cold for the machine when you're not on it - I could see the point - but not whilst you're on it.

Personally I'd be going to the websites for the machines you are interested in and see what temp range they can cope with.
  • ben@31 wrote:

I carried mine, in the box, back from Evans to work. Just under a mile. I didn't then use it for days because my body was utterly done in.

Wow. I wouldn't even contemplate that! Especially not in the box! I carried mine from the bike shop doorway into the carpark and that was far enough. You must be some sort of Schwarzenegger-esque to have pulled that off. I would have failed and called a taxi...

The only heavier items I own are probably my motorbike and washing machine.
  • I would hold fire on the heater if you dont already own one. Even at sub zero in my garage I'd be stripped to the waist with a fan on if I'm doing a turbo session. If Maine gets down to sort of minus 10 you may want to consider a base layer to take the edge off the wind chill but I doubt a heater will get much use.

I would say the same. Always need a fan in the garage and wouldn't consider the need for a heater. Always layer up with clothing and make sure it is easy to remove through the session.

John.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    What about a 'lagging jacket' or something of the same kind of material they use for lagging water tanks?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18