Di2 battery location

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Does anyone mount their Di2 battery anywhere other than the seat post? If so, where?

I'm building up a Cervelo R3 and I really fancy an Ergon CF3 seat post (its the oem Canyon VCLS 2.0). As its a two piece leaf spring you can't put a battery inside and so I'm looking for other placement options.

I think I may be onto a looser here though.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Use etap ?

You can mount externally but might be messier : http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_ ... _P2844525/
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Fenix wrote:
    Use etap ?

You can mount externally but might be messier : http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_ ... _P2844525/

I already have the Di2, in just moving it between bikes.

External is fugly, I struggle with having the junction box externally.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Wrap it in foam and put it in the seat tube?
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    The VCLS which came out with flying colours in a BR seatpost test , might be worth a thought, will accommodate the battery as usual.
  • If you drop the battery into the seat tube make sure you have a loop of something so you can pull it out. There are options to locate in the fork steerer tube but I think the forks will need to be specific.
    I used a bracket which tie wrapped to the non-drive side chain stay with a short external battery mount and external battery. It looked awful and I found a hack to enable me to mount in the seat tube.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    As already mentioned, get some packing foam from your LBS, wrap the battery in it and just mount it inside either the seat tube or downtube. If your BB she'll is big enough you should be able to get it up the downtube, if not, you should be able to push it far enough down the seat tube. Think about a method to get it back out (could just be pushing it back from whence it came) before committing....

PP