Carrera vendetta elusive wheels

Dodster
Dodster Posts: 8
edited September 2017 in MTB general
It seems to be impossible to get a replacement rear wheel for this bike, unless you are willing to pay more than the cost of the bike??
Any advice on an affordable 650b with 170mm disc ready hub and 40mm rim for the 2.8" tyre????
Still have no answer from Halfords despite calling the director of quality control!
Does this mean a broken wheel is curtains for the bike!!!

Comments

• Have you checked superstar?
    Some good deals on wheels there sometimes.

What's actually wrong with the current wheel?
    Could well be repairable unless it's uttely smashed /bent.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why quality control and not spares?

Are you sure it's a 170mm rear, would seem strange for a 27.5 plus wheel, usually only fattbikes that use 170.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Plus size is pretty rare, and kind of dying. Therefore wheels and tyres are expensive.

Depends what the damage is.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Dodster wrote:
    It seems to be impossible to get a replacement rear wheel for this bike, unless you are willing to pay more than the cost of the bike??
    Any advice on an affordable 650b with 170mm disc ready hub and 40mm rim for the 2.8" tyre????
    Still have no answer from Halfords despite calling the director of quality control!
    Does this mean a broken wheel is curtains for the bike!!!

Do you need any more than 30mm rim for the 2.8" tyre ? I've ordered such a wheel to recover a cannibalised vendetta that's on the shelf so I'll update you if it's OK in the flesh with a 2.8" Havok tyre

The new Vendetta is due in soon
  • Hi all
    The distance between the dropouts is 170mm so research has shown its using a fat bike hub. The rim is 40mm on the front wheel so needs to match.
    Halfords we're very helpful by allowing us to buy the bike brand new minus a rear wheel, at a discount price.
    In all my years I never thought getting a replacement would be virtually impossible!
    Beware owners of my plight!!!!
    Ive sourced a used pair of wheels and will get the hub/cassette and disc then lace it myself. Bit of an eye opening scenario to be fair :x
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You didn't wonder why they were selling you a bike without a back wheel?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    How much of a discount did you actually get on the bike? I was expected it to be ££££ but given its only a £350 bike when sold with both wheels (!), I'm hoping you got a fairly huge whacking great discount to be worth the cost of buying a wheel, cassette, rotor and tyre that it would have been missing!! Even cheap as chips that's going to set you back at least c£100, and if the parts are niche...
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • cooldad wrote:
    You didn't wonder why they were selling you a bike without a back wheel?
    I thought it was a unicycle :lol:
  • Regardless of the price, even buying one leaves customers vulnerable if one is stolen or totalled!
    Poor show imho of carrera for leaving a vital part inaccessible??
  • larkim
    It wouldn't be the first time a company sold a product without any realistic opportunity for replacement in the event of damage. It's not really their job to sell something with "just in case" built into every part. And whilst rear wheels do need replacing every now and again it certainly wouldn't be high up on my radar as things to check before buying a bike at that price point - I'd want to know that the groupset was maintainable / replaceable, and the fork too.
  • Do you work for Halfords by chance??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wonder if it would just take a stock fatbike rear.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    Dodster wrote:
    Do you work for Halfords by chance??
    @me? lol!

Just saying, as consumers we all seem to expect a lot these days, and the reality is that when Halfords buy a bike range in I suspect they don't go all out to make sure that they carry stock of all replacement parts. Most likely cheaper for them to find a full replacement / refund if they run up against a defect (say a broken rear wheel) that they can't remedy in the grand scheme of things.

And then go ahead and sell someone the bike with no rear wheel for a stonking discount and let caveat emptor apply!
  • larkim
    So, how much discount did you get?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    larkim wrote:
    So, how much discount did you get?

I hope it was wheely good
  • I managed to get £70 off which helps, fact is it was the bike and model our son wanted. I'm not the sort to back down from a challenge so I did what any decent dad would do...
    He can help build it so it's a win win imo!
    Can't remember if it was a stock fat bike size, couldn't afford those prices compared to what I've got from eBay-two wheels and two hubs of the right size so spares r us :lol:
  • larkim
    Hope you get sorted, nothing worse for a kid than seeing something they want to use sat idle and broken. Think halfords were taking the Mick though with only £70 off given the likely cost of even a bog standard wheel, rotor and cassette, let alone the niche setup you need.
  • Vendetta rear wheel 216058 £45

I know that there is a shipment of carrera bits coming in mid october as I was trying to get one for different bike so could be in there

Otherwise Halifax, Sheldon and Chatham are both showing they have , could see if your store could get one sent
  • larkim
    POD - presume there's a link to where that product can be sourced? Couldn't find that on the Halfords website.
  • larkim wrote:
    POD - presume there's a link to where that product can be sourced? Couldn't find that on the Halfords website.

That's from the instore spares listing that your store should have access to
  • Vendetta rear wheel 216058 £45

I know that there is a shipment of carrera bits coming in mid october as I was trying to get one for different bike so could be in there

Otherwise Halifax, Sheldon and Chatham are both showing they have , could see if your store could get one sent

Cycle republic came up with this but again couldn't confirm anything. It seemed pretty dire so set off on the personal vendetta against the wheel! Perhaps this is how carrera came up with the name!!!
    It'll be fun building it up together...
  • There are also 2 Voodoo plus bikes coming out soon which may have compatible spare wheels, havent seen the parts list yet
  • I've got a pair of wheels from a vendetta , you can have them for £20 plus postage.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Carrera's aren't bought-in by Halfords, the brand is owned by Halfords and then manufactured for them.

No excuse for them not having after sales support for 27.5"/650b bikes and they are just as bad with basic spares and ebike batteries.

I have sourced rear wheel and tyre for Vendetta now I just need to get a hub