Cookson out. Lappartient in.

gweeds
gweeds Posts: 2,564
edited September 2017 in Pro race
David Lappartient elected as UCI President. 37 votes to 8.

McQuaid seen knocking one out somewhere in Bergen.
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Now to see if he's the ASO puppet everyone thinks he is.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Narrator: HE IS
  • RichN95.
    The tin-foil hatters have invested a lot in the new guy. They're going to be disappointed when he fails to find a motor and Sky still win races.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Got blocked by Dan Roan on Twitter for suggesting he'd see it as job done if Cookson was ousted...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,192
    Cookson's demise is "Testimony to an ineffective reign" according to cycling expert Sean Ingle.
  • The problem is the UCI, just the same as the problem is the IOC, or FIFA or UEFA or FIA... large organisations with money are inherently corrupted... Cookson is not a crook and couldn't do much... nobody could
    left the forum March 2023
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    Cookson's demise is "Testimony to an ineffective reign" according to cycling expert Sean Ingle.
    He obviously didn't seen what came before (and I say that as someone who thinks McQuaid did a lot more good than he's given credit for)
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    The problem is the UCI, just the same as the problem is the IOC, or FIFA or UEFA or FIA... large organisations with money are inherently corrupted... Cookson is not a crook and couldn't do much... nobody could
    Am inclined to agree.

I am also mindful of the saying: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence".
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • r0bh wrote:

Sean Ingle who's never been to a bike race in his life?
  • The problem is the UCI, just the same as the problem is the IOC, or FIFA or UEFA or FIA... large organisations with money are inherently corrupted... Cookson is not a crook and couldn't do much... nobody could

How much money do you think floats around the UCI? Bleeding norah, UCI cant even be mentioned in the same breath as IOC, and CERTAINLY not footie
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    The problem is the UCI, just the same as the problem is the IOC, or FIFA or UEFA or FIA... large organisations with money are inherently corrupted... Cookson is not a crook and couldn't do much... nobody could

How much money do you think floats around the UCI? Bleeding norah, UCI cant even be mentioned in the same breath as IOC, and CERTAINLY not footie

Therein lies the problem, easily bent to the will of a few interested parties IOC/ASO/Middle East*

*delete as appopriate
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:

Therein lies the problem, easily bent to the will of a few interested parties IOC/ASO/Middle East*

*delete as appopriate

tbf I challenge someone to cite a sport that HAS rejected ME money

Someone...? Anyone....?
  • Doesn't bode well for women's cycling, unless filling in a bit of time before the men race comes into town, is your thing.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    Things to watch with Lappartient:

1. Is he a puppet of the ASO? Will teams and riders rights we downgraded in favour of Amaury Family profit

2. Does he view this a just a stepping stone to something else? He's a career politician who has his eye on the French senate. Is his main motivation in the job to make the next step?

3. What happens to Women's cycling? As has been noted his record at the French Federation was woeful and ASO aren't keen. Will Tracy Gaudry be reappointed?

4. Will he pander to the crowd? He has made some odd pronouncements in the past, such as advocating a return to National teams to the Tour de France, largely to get headlines. Will he make decisions based on how it will appeal to the media (refer back to point 2)?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    I couldn't really care less. Maybe I ve been listening to iain too much but the UCI president appears to have very little real power*, I suppose it's one less conspiracy theory....

*I rememeber when neutering the power of the president was the main goal of the Clinic. funny how things change innit. Cookson's main failing appears to be that he's not some cycling Dumbledore who could make everything better with a magic wand.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131

The UCI are similar to the FiA; both run multi discipline sports - but seem to concentrate on the biggest, most popular; and the 'lesser' sports can often feel like an afterthought. Has the new President got plans to improve & grow the other disciplines? Has anybody asked him? All it seems to be is about road & the doping issue....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:
    Things to watch with Lappartient:

1. Is he a puppet of the ASO? Will teams and riders rights we downgraded in favour of Amaury Family profit

2. Does he view this a just a stepping stone to something else? He's a career politician who has his eye on the French senate. Is his main motivation in the job to make the next step?

3. What happens to Women's cycling? As has been noted his record at the French Federation was woeful and ASO aren't keen. Will Tracy Gaudry be reappointed?

4. Will he pander to the crowd? He has made some odd pronouncements in the past, such as advocating a return to National teams to the Tour de France, largely to get headlines. Will he make decisions based on how it will appeal to the media (refer back to point 2)?

You're famous Rich: https://twitter.com/EuroHoody/status/910857909780836352

That guy you're arguing with seems a bit dense.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    AndyRAC wrote:

The UCI are similar to the FiA; both run multi discipline sports - but seem to concentrate on the biggest, most popular; and the 'lesser' sports can often feel like an afterthought. Has the new President got plans to improve & grow the other disciplines? Has anybody asked him? All it seems to be is about road & the doping issue....

Well looking at positives, his plan to hold a World Champs for all the Olympic disciplines in one place very 4 years can't hurt to promote track, BMX and XCO. Plus the FFC are very good at funding all variants of cycling properly as opposed to the ones that are easily controlled every 4 years.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    He's already binned the team time trial at the World Championships (from 2020)
  • RichN95 wrote:

Good stuff. Never really fitted with the rest of the week's events.
  • I was under the impression that Cookson did a reasonable job as president. Obviously picking a fight with ASO over WorldTour reform killed him off, to the glee of the Cookson = GB Cycling = Sky = DOPING AND HIDDEN MOTORS!!!!! brigade.

What were his acheivements? How did he rate?
    Separated anti-doping from UCI (very positive)
    Dangerous weather protocol (largely positive, though with negative rating from the Four Yorkshiremen Tendency)
    UCI big doping report (waste of time and money, didn't really please the people it should have pleased, but they're only happy when it rains anyway)
    Womens cycling (any progress? was equal events at Olympics influenced by him?)
    Generally making the UCI president a manager instead of an emperor (quite positive, hope he's done enough, but not really recognised even by those that complained of McQuaid's power and tendency to use it off-the-cuff)

Any massive failings?
    Rider safety still not in tip-top shape - though a tough nut to crack - decrease in team size may help slightly
    WT reform? Not really made much progress, though ASO had him over a barrel

What have I missed, and what's your rating?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95 wrote:

That's not going to enamour him to bike manufacturers sponsoring teams. That's their showpiece. Decent exposure of the TT bikes they sell to middle managers looking to put a triathlon on the CV.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Cookson was basically the cycling equivalent of Jimmy Carter. He took over from a tarnished regime after an era defining scandal, steadied the ship in an unfussy and showy manner, did nothing big and memorable and was replaced by a slick darling of big business.

People think a lot more highly of Carter now than they did at the time.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,537
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

*delete as appopriate

tbf I challenge someone to cite a sport that HAS rejected ME money

Someone...? Anyone....?

Any women's sport.
  • The ladies European Tour (golf) goes there. Would be a fair quip if you said that golf's not a women's sport.

That world series squash tournament was in Qatar too. Ignoring the tennis types as I barely know anything about it.
  • RichN95.
    Ignoring the tennis types as I barely know anything about it.
    WTA tournaments in Doha and Dubai
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The lesson is this whole thing is you cannot trust a man with a beard.

But I fear everyone pinning their hopes in a change of leadership will be disappointed again. He doesn't have any real power to effect change and is basically the thing you blame when it doesn't work. Although, if he was in ASO's pocket it would make things easier as we could understand his motivation.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    He doesn't have any real power to effect change and is basically the thing you blame when it doesn't work. Although, if he was in ASO's pocket it would make things easier as we could understand his motivation.
    I think his motivations are simply those of a career politician. He had originally intended to stand for election to the French Senate, but switched to a UCI run in the summer (perhaps due to the collapse of support for the establishment meant he was unlikely to win on UMP ticket). I think he'll stand down once the soft right re-establish support and he thinks he will win a Senate seat.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    If true, he's pretty quick off the mark, the vote was only this morning wasn't it? Isn't it more likely the UCI had already decided this?
    Eitherways, isn't the current TTT anyway an anomaly, when everything else is organised by nation?
    I don't mean that as a defence of the decision to drop it (whether Lappertient's idea or not), just I think you should either go by nations or go by trade teams for all team events, not a mixture as now.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I was under the impression that Cookson did a reasonable job as president ....
    What were his acheivements? How did he rate? ...
    Generally making the UCI president a manager instead of an emperor ...
    Any massive failings? ...
    What have I missed, and what's your rating?
    I don't know enough about to what extent Cookson was actually involved, whether as catalyst or brake, in what you rate as his achievements and failings, but I have heard, far from being an emporer, he wasn't (despite your judgement) much of a manager either, letting his general secretary, Gibbs, chair (and thus control) many meetings, something delegates didn't like, even resented.
    It certainly seems Cookson was out of touch with delegates if he thought he would get 2/3rd of the votes, not the mere 1/6th he did. A good manager doesn't misjudge that much.

From the resumes I saw of their respective manifestos, to me Cookson's was the vaguer, perhaps because when it came out he felt he'd be uncontested. And I don't suppose that Cookson was in charge of British Cycling when Sutton was doing his thing, and knew but didn't react, did much for faith in him as leader.

At least some French seem happy – on a French cycling forum someone has written he hopes the connivance (his word, not mine) between the UCI, British Cycling and Sky will now stop!