2017 worlds

Comments

• Timoid. wrote:
    Why is Mullen not riding the ITT?

According to Sticky Bottle it's because of the climb
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

I saw that today thinking she'd just had a normal crash having not seeing any footage, I think Id have passed out just if Id cut my leg open like that let alone from the pain :shock:

its got to be asked in all seriousness though, who let her continue? because thats a seriously deep cut that did require more than a few stitches and sticking plaster
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    My last minute tactical change to van Vleuten has paid off I see.
  • Stitches ≠ road rash.

I don't understand why she did continue - a stage race I could understand, maybe, to get to the start line the day after. But a single event TT? That's crossing the boundary from brave to foolhardy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    Pidcock is definitely The Future.

Adds the jnr ITT world championship to an already stunning multidisciplinary palmares.

2017: Cross World, European and National jnr champion, Paris-Roubaix jnr winner, National jnr champion in the scratch. Also the national crit champion - in the elite class.

And winner of the Junior Tour of Wales...

The biggest of them all, imo. :D

Previous winners include Roger Hammond, Charly Wegelius, Johan Van Summeren, Dan Martin, Alex Dowsett - whatever happened to them?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Adds the jnr ITT world championship to an already stunning multidisciplinary palmares.

2017: Cross World, European and National jnr champion, Paris-Roubaix jnr winner, National jnr champion in the scratch. Also the national crit champion - in the elite class.

The biggest of them all, imo. :D

Previous winners include Roger Hammond, Charly Wegelius, Johan Van Summeren, Dan Martin, Alex Dowsett - whatever happened to them?

Not to mention Dan McClay, Hugh Carthy and Scott Davies beating the newly crowned, world TTT champ, Sam Oomen, too.
    I missed young Tom's win, this year, though. :(
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,442
    Imposter wrote:

Only finished outside the top 5 on 1 stage which shows his versatility. Won the stage that finished on the Tumble so not a bad climber. I just hope he doesn't get pushed too far too soon.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    My outside long-odds worth-a-bet tip for the men's ITT: Hamish Bond
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    edited September 2017
    The bike change 'station' looks silly.

Further up the climb there's a nice goat shed (&goats)
    Edit: just before the finish line
  • First rider to not swap bikes is tackling the climb on a TT bike.

Maybe the better option is a roadbike with TT bars. Seen it utilised before
  • Tao is off! As in on the course, not fallen off.
  • fantastic crowds, and that climb looks horrible!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Having seen a clip of Lutsenko's bike change effort, I now approve of this added feature to the race. There should be a prize for the quickest change over. A clever TV person would put a timer on it like an F1 pit stop.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,192
    I don't get why anyone would change bikes; I do hilly TTs and triathlons on my TT bike and climbing on a TT bike is no different really from climbing on a road bike. I can't see how you would make up the time lost to the change on a 3km climb
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    r0bh wrote:
    I don't get why anyone would change bikes; I do hilly TTs and triathlons on my TT bike and climbing on a TT bike is no different really from climbing on a road bike. I can't see how you would make up the time lost to the change on a 3km climb
    Last year Froome won the uphill TT at the Tour on his full TT bike - one of few to use one. I don't think he'll change.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh wrote:

Aren't there a lot of hairpins fairly close together though? In which case you might want better handling.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    r0bh wrote:
    It does look quite challenging to be fair..
    ae5be693_b370_4319_8fb5_9b1fdfe2b76e_670.jpg
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,586
    Tao is off! As in on the course, not fallen off.

Spoke too soon :(
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Carlton "Rainman" Kirby is doing my flipping head in, as per.
    No man made obstacles, so he goes endlessly on about mother nature's tears.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    Tao is off! As in on the course, not fallen off.

Spoke too soon :(

I blame my new prescription pain killers. Surprised I'm still awake. Sure I saw him on screen a bit ago. CK was even going on about him wearing his Sky helmet, and wittering on about him giving feedback to Froome. (I'm not hallucinating that much)
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,192
    If you can't ride up a hairpin or two on a TT bike you've got no business being a pro! TT bikes really don't handle _that_ differently from road bikes.

I actually raced against one of today's competitors - Hamish Bond of NZ - in a hilly TT in June. He only beat me by 16 minutes over a 20 mile course! In fairness he beat 2nd place by 5 minutes. https://www.strava.com/segments/12461960
  • Great crowds. That's what a Worlds roadside should look like.
  • Arndt loving this climb :)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Having seen a clip of Lutsenko's bike change effort, I now approve of this added feature to the race. There should be a prize for the quickest change over. A clever TV person would put a timer on it like an F1 pit stop.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cycling/40868357

They should have made a compulsory bike swap across that flat cobble square by unicycle, before either returning the bike you were on, or on to a new two-wheeler! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    What is this bike change station nonsense? I thought the whole point was another bike needed to come from the rider's support car which needed to be behind the rider, hence it took a while to change bikes.

I'm not impressed.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    TheBigBean wrote:
    What is this bike change station nonsense? I thought the whole point was another bike needed to come from the rider's support car which needed to be behind the rider, hence it took a while to change bikes.

I'm not impressed.

It is boIIocks. Even red-carpeted. 4FS
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    r0bh wrote:
    ...I actually raced against one of today's competitors - Hamish Bond of NZ - in a hilly TT in June. He only beat me by 16 minutes over a 20 mile course! In fairness he beat 2nd place by 5 minutes. https://www.strava.com/segments/12461960
    ... arguably the best rower ever, quicker in a single scull than than the reigning single scull Olympic Champion (Mahe Drysdale) and not a heavy guy. He's won the last 2-3 Olympics in coxless pair, easily, and all the world championships in between. Unbeaten in that boat since he and Eric Murray got together. Huge amount of power. It'll be VERY interesting to see what he does today. I tried to put money on him when I saw him on the start list but the first starters had already started.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    rower63 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    ...I actually raced against one of today's competitors - Hamish Bond of NZ - in a hilly TT in June. He only beat me by 16 minutes over a 20 mile course! In fairness he beat 2nd place by 5 minutes. https://www.strava.com/segments/12461960
    ... arguably the best rower ever, quicker in a single scull than than the reigning single scull Olympic Champion (Mahe Drysdale) and not a heavy guy. He's won the last 2-3 Olympics in coxless pair, easily, and all the world championships in between. Unbeaten in that boat since he and Eric Murray got together. Huge amount of power. It'll be VERY interesting to see what he does today. I tried to put money on him when I saw him on the start list but the first starters had already started.

He is about to find out just how good someone like Chris Froome is I think. Hamish is quick (about 25 odd seconds per 10 miles faster than me if our rides on a certain TT course are comparable), but those guys are in another level. Froome has the same power but weighs over 10kg less... That all said, I think he will certainly not embarrass himself and I hope he gets up in the top 20 or better.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Or perhaps how good someone like Tom Dumoulin is?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I'm not impressed.

It is boIIocks. Even red-carpeted. 4FS

It looks like a triathlon.