Majorca, I love it.

Comments

• 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Pedro at niu wave on the road alcudia to Pto pollenca, has a great stock of take off parts so, as long as youre not running electronic can get you on the road quickly. most bike shops here, even gomilla and nadal, don't carry much stock and its a 2 day wait to get stuff sent here
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    4kicks wrote:
    Pedro at niu wave on the road alcudia to Pto pollenca, has a great stock of take off parts so, as long as youre not running electronic can get you on the road quickly. most bike shops here, even gomilla and nadal, don't carry much stock and its a 2 day wait to get stuff sent here

Thanks, remember passing it last year so that will be handy to where we are staying.
  • mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    Any tips for flat rides and cycle hire in Cala Bona/Millor?
    We have booked a family holiday for May, I was going to resist the urge to hire a bike but it's turned out that the OH is now pregnant and would like a day on her own to relax.
    So now I am looking for somewhere to ride with my 4 year old (he can ride very well) and a place that will rent me a couple of decent bikes for the day.
    Also does anyone have any tips for where to ride? Up to around 10miles will be about right for him so I was thinking about heading up to Castillo de sa Punta de n’Amer and seeing how it goes.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Fraid not as its about as far from where I live, and kids schools, as could be.

On another point, the trip out to the Cap Formentor next year is apparently going to be only for bikes, electric cars and coaches, ie no tourist cars. personally I doubt it will come true, sounds like an election promise, but would make for much less stressful trip if it does
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    I'm off next week to puerto pollensa bike rental sorted with bikehead , sadly they don't have any garmin 'mapping' devices available (I've only got an edge 25) can anyone advise who might rent something like a 1000 for a couple of days?
    Cheers.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    As a shot in the dark, try ebay?

A mate "rented" a sat nav from someone on ebay for a couple of weeks whilst in florida. Then sent it out to him with bits he needed loaded up and then he posted it back when finished.
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    Thanks I'll have a trawl
  • Just booked my flights for Majorca next May and this time it will be my wife and I rather than the usual group of cycling buddies.

The last two years I have stayed a Club Pollentia and am happy to do so again due to the quality of the food etc, but wondered if there were any better hotel options in Puerto Pollensa since being in the town would be better for couples? Especially interested in anyone who has stayed at Club Pollentia and other hotels for a balanced opinion.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    A guy I work with (National Enduro champion, and very good road rider) has sold up over here and moving to Mallorca soon.

He's setting up a business offering the full package, catering for both roadies and mountain bikers.

After our talks today, he's hoping to be open to the public for early spring 2018.

The villa he's buying looks ridiculous, a main house with 2 separate annexes, pool, pizza ovens etc.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Hi All,

Off to Majorca in October for a long weekend riding. Am planning a longer ride on the Saturday (Valldemossa - Puerto Pollenca via the climbs). Was hoping to use the Cycle Shuttle service to get from PP to the start of the ride, but from their timetable they don't do that route on Saturdays. Any recommendations as to other ways to get 2 guys and their bikes to Valldemossa on a Saturday morning in October? Thanks in advance.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,594
    Hi All,

Off to Majorca in October for a long weekend riding. Am planning a longer ride on the Saturday (Valldemossa - Puerto Pollenca via the climbs). Was hoping to use the Cycle Shuttle service to get from PP to the start of the ride, but from their timetable they don't do that route on Saturdays. Any recommendations as to other ways to get 2 guys and their bikes to Valldemossa on a Saturday morning in October? Thanks in advance.
    Cycle.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Don't quote me but I was told you can take the train from Sa Pobla to Palma not sure if it stops somewhere close en-route or wh there u can get a connection

https://www.tib.org/en/web/ctm/tren
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Hi All,

Cycle.

If we were planning a day with that much mileage we would, we aren't, hence the question :-)
  • Don't quote me but I was told you can take the train from Sa Pobla to Palma not sure if it stops somewhere close en-route or wh there u can get a connection

https://www.tib.org/en/web/ctm/tren

Thanks, appreciated :-)
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Hi All,

Cycle.

If we were planning a day with that much mileage we would, we aren't, hence the question :-)
    Sorry. I thought that making the most of a cycling holiday by cycling would be ideal. Throw in Orient and Bunyola for the ultimate Mallorca loop. Did that loop a few times and it is spectacular!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Hi All,

Cycle.

Sorry. I thought that making the most of a cycling holiday by cycling would be ideal. Throw in Orient and Bunyola for the ultimate Mallorca loop. Did that loop a few times and it is spectacular!

Thanks PB, I know where your coming from, but I need to accommodate my travelling buddy too :-)
  • Off to Majorca in October for a long weekend riding. Am planning a longer ride on the Saturday (Valldemossa - Puerto Pollenca via the climbs).

I hope you're including the climb from Port de Valldemossa too! :wink:
  • Hi All,

Here are a link to transport http://www.suntransfers.com/majorca-airport
    https://tourdriving.wordpress.com bike hire and travel links, in 47 countries http://ukbikerentals.com UK Bike & Motorcycle hire in Counties after ABC
  • Hotel sorted and staying again at the Club Pollentia.

Not taking my bike with me this year so need to sort out some hire bikes and I fancy something a bit better than the Canyons available at the onsite hire shop so I am looking for a hire shop that delivers.

Had anyone any experience with Bike Experience Mallorca as they have some nice Giants and Cervelos or recommendations on any other shops that deliver? I had looked at Bikehead but they no longer deliver.

Thanks
  • http://www.pinarelloexperience.com/pinarello-hire/ 07470 Port de Pollenca (ROAD) and http://www.2gocycling.com/bicicletas.php 07470 Port de Pollença (ROAD-MTB) also https://www.pollensacycling.com/bikes-rates.php 07470 Puerto de Pollensa (ROAD) Delivery service
    https://tourdriving.wordpress.com bike hire and travel links, in 47 countries http://ukbikerentals.com UK Bike & Motorcycle hire in Counties after ABC
  • http://www.pinarelloexperience.com/pinarello-hire/ 07470 Port de Pollenca (ROAD) and http://www.2gocycling.com/bicicletas.php 07470 Port de Pollença (ROAD-MTB) also https://www.pollensacycling.com/bikes-rates.php 07470 Puerto de Pollensa (ROAD) Delivery service

thanks
  • Does anyone have any recommendations for staying in or around Palma? Looking around middle to late October.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    We may do this for the third time this year, check out the cycle tracks and quiet lanes out east to llucmajor and beyond and into palma.:

Re: Majorca, I love it.
    Postby priory » 08 Nov 2014 22:31
    http://www.bikerental-mallorca.com/home
    I have nothing to do personally with this shop but would recommend it .

a different, softer, sort of trip:wife booked a hotel (royal cristina)near the the palma beach cycle track . wife is not a mile-eater or hill climber , but makes an excellent companion on holidays nevertheless.we hiredtwo high quality bikes from the shop round the corner , which was this very pleasant and extremely fit ?austrian couple. bikes immaculate , mine was ultegra full set.Perfect fit .
    We cycled together into palma or out to luz major on easy roads or flattish tracks , Palma is a nice small city to potter about. markets entertaining places to eat(oliva and santa catalina)
    hotel bike park was previously the underground carpark now with a hundred or so bikes in it , including a team .
    the area we stayed in was full of germans , some in lederhosen and many quite drunk, but all very pleasant , good atmosphere and lots of all sorts of cycling going on.

When you are near Alaro check out Restauarant Bearne . Really good.

near hotel cristina we liked restaurante paraiso, which incidentally had good free wi-fi
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Thanks, will have a look
  • Thanks, will have a look

Have stayed in Hotel Helios in Can Pastilla.
    Good accommodation and food and bike friendly.
    Bus directly available to airport outside. Very short taxi ride.
    if oyu have am orning flight can still get a very good ride in on day !.
    Bike hire around the corner - Berganti Bikes.
    Never stayed in Palma before but wasn't an issue getting out of there each day.
    Ideal for short break and no long transfer.
  • Hi All,

I wouldn't bother with the one way rides unless you can get the shuttle. I get that you can do more of the north coast in one hit with the shuttle, and it's probably worth the hour in the shuttle to explore further that way if you've never been before. But once you start considering trains you're probably looking more toward 2 hours to get there and that's when for me, I'd probably just prefer to spend the extra time on the bike.

Valldemossa - Puerto Pollenca is like 3.5 hours, plus a conservative 1.5 for travel by train. That's 5 hours of riding time in which
    I'd just do the pollenca - lluc - caimari - pollenca loop, then with the time saved in shuttle / train add on bit to Sa Calobra, Cala St Vicenc, Formentor, or a thrash along the flat to one of the interior villages.

Unless you have done all those routes to death and are desperate to get further west... in which case, you might be better just staying somewhere further west (if you haven't booked accommodation yet).
  • adskis
    adskis Posts: 85
    Hey BR community,
    I'm heading out to Mallorca next week with the family and going to squeeze in a couple of rides.
    Anyone going to be out there and fancy a spin out.
    We'll be in Port de Pollenca, so maybe MA 10 to Lluc / Soller, that sort of ride. Flexible on days / times.
    PM me if you are keen.
    Ad
  • pblakeney
    Won’t be able to make it. :wink:
    If you make to to Soller then it is uphill home. A major slog/achievement back the way you came, or Col de Soller/Bunyola/Orient loop which is excellent.
    Or the shorter Lluc/Col de Sabatier/Campanet loop which is my favourite Short 40ish mile loop although I prefer going the opposite direction with a hairpin ascent and fast sweeping descent.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • adskis
    adskis Posts: 85
    Thanks PB.
    Last year I was out there I managed two rides in the week.
    First one was out and back from PdP to Sa Colabra. Amazing 'alpine' roads and scenary.
    The other was an inland route. It was pouring with rain and the Tramuntana was covered in fog / mist. So I did a big Petra, Manacor, Arta loop and back up the coast. Mostly flat but interesting.
    Just fancied riding with someone this time.
    I'll look into that Soller orient loop. Might be a big day though (milage and climbing)
    Ad
  • Adskis wrote:
    I'll look into that Soller orient loop. Might be a big day though (milage and climbing)
    Ad

Usually around 7000ft and 80 miles. Its great both ways.