Padded, Waterproof Laptop/A4 Sleeves?

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited September 2017 in Commuting chat
Hi.

I'm on the lookout for a lightly padded, waterproof laptop sleeve, ideally one that's light and ideally rolls up small.
Any recommendations? Needs to hold a 14" widescreen laptop and an A4 lab book.

Previously in really heavy weather I've use a simple ziplock bag to provide additional mitigation of using a waterproof cover over the pannier getting the paperwork & laptop wet, but on Monday I dropped the pannier about 10 cm , and the laptop, unbeknown to me, tore through the bag. I'd continued to ride in a thunderstorm thinking "it'll be ok"... turns out it wasn't :shock:
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I always question whether transporting a laptop is necessary. Better to avoid if there is any feasible way of doing this.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Get another waterproof ziploc and put some foam padding in the bottom of your pannier/bag ? Like some foam pipe lagging cut in two ?
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    I always question whether transporting a laptop is necessary. Better to avoid if there is any feasible way of doing this.

Unfortunately, it has become necessary to do so :(
    Fenix wrote:
    Get another waterproof ziploc and put some foam padding in the bottom of your pannier/bag ? Like some foam pipe lagging cut in two ?

I think I'd like something a bit more robust than the ziplock bags, they sometimes only last a few days before getting torn. I've currently got a box at home and at work.
    There are numerous ones out there, stuff like the aqua quest monsoon, at £25 each, which look good and get good reviews.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If the ZipLoc arent sturdy enough google dry sacks. People like Alpkit and Lomo make them in all different sizes and if they're good enough for kayaks - they're fine for cycling. I just use one as a backpack anyway so dont need extra water protection.