Bike locks for insurance......secured to what?

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited September 2017 in MTB general
Hi all

My house insurance will cover my 2 bikes but stipulate a silver and gold Sold Secure lock. I'm presuming they need to locked to something or otherwise they can just be picked up....is this correct? If so what's the best thing, surely need to be up to same standard as lock?

Thanks for any help :D

Comments

• I asked my insurer the same question and they said everything had to be 'sold secure gold'. Ended up with a Kryptonite Stronghold and a big gold U lock

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-stro ... nd-anchor/
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Mine doesn't need to be locked to anything, just in a locked shed (with any old padlock) then with a Sold Secure bronze lock. Bronze, Silver or Gold depends on the value of the bike and your insurer. I ended up with a Silver Kryponite lock.

Doesn't make sense I know.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Apparently needs to be a Gold lock and a Gold rated anchor.
  • JGTR wrote:
    Apparently needs to be a Gold lock and a Gold rated anchor.

Have checked my insurance docs as was sure the definitions had changed in last couple of years (think was change of underwriter). It refers to bike being locked using a Gold SS spec lock to an 'Immovable object'. Sounds like you might have your answer already, in which case the Kryptonite anchor is probably a good option.

Immovable Object
    • Solid object fitted onto or into concrete, stone, brick or metal which is not capable of being undone, removed with, or lifted under or over the Bicycle.
    • A purpose built Bicycle or roof rack which is fitted securely to a motor vehicle.
    • At train stations, a Bicycle rack provided by the train station specifically for the purpose of securing Bicycles within the jurisdiction of the transport police.
    • At campsites, a solid part of a caravan or temporary holiday Home which is not capable of being undone, removed with or lifted under or over the Bicycle
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Boombang wrote:
    • A purpose built Bicycle or roof rack which is fitted securely to a motor vehicle.
    Hmm. "Securely" - so the roofrack doesn't blow off during normal driving. Or "Securely" - such that it cannot be removed without tools?

We've got bars on our car which I routinely secure the bikes too when I've got no choice (e.g. on holiday), but any tea leaf with an ounce of common sense would be able to remove the bars. However I'd still argue they are "securely fitted" to my car.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim wrote:
    Boombang wrote:
    Hmm. "Securely" - so the roofrack doesn't blow off during normal driving. Or "Securely" - such that it cannot be removed without tools?

We've got bars on our car which I routinely secure the bikes too when I've got no choice (e.g. on holiday), but any tea leaf with an ounce of common sense would be able to remove the bars. However I'd still argue they are "securely fitted" to my car.

My roof bars fit with a key lock on each clamp - would argue that is pretty secure.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I wouldn't disagree. But mine fit with a removeable allen key, though they are certainly "secure" using one definition. Just pointing out a loophole in that definition.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)