Charlie Alliston sentenced to 18 months.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited September 2017 in Campaign
Charlie Alliston who crashed into a mother of two that later died of her injuries has been sentenced to 18 months in a young offenders institution. Well thats made my Fookin day, it really has.
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• ademort wrote:
    Charlie Alliston who crashed into a mother of two that later died of her injuries has been sentenced to 18 months in a young offenders institution. Well thats made my Fookin day, it really has.

In a good "made your day I'm glad he's gone down" way or a bad "that's appalling he didn't deserve that" kind of way?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Even his own mum thought the sentence was apt.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    On the one hand, somehow drivers who mow down cyclists in broad daylight rarely seem to get custodial sentences. On the other hand, Alliston really was a grade 1 government-certified copper-bottomed bellend and clearly deserved to have several books lobbed in the general direction of his head.

Perhaps we will at some point get a proper presumed liability hierarchy. Until then let's just hope that the usual Daily Fail hysteria doesn't lead to some kind of idiotic anti-cyclist legislation. I'm half-expecting both compulsory insurance and speed limits at some point in the next few years. Be another reason to go and live somewhere warmer, dryer and less populated, I suppose. Apart from Australia, which I think already has the most anti-cycling legislation of anywhere in the world.
  • AFAIK presumed liability is about civil law not criminal law. This Alliston case was criminal so presumed liability isn't relevant to the trial. So presumed liability would not change anything about this case.

18 months for actions resulting in someone's death. I read somewhere that the average sentence for a motorist who's actions resulted in a death is 2 years. So in some ways it's a fair sentence.
  • Was surprised he got such a sentence, however thoroughly deserved, if not more. I think its high time though that not only dangerous cycling gets in the headlines, but so does dangerous driving
  • Was surprised he got such a sentence, however thoroughly deserved, if not more. I think its high time though that not only dangerous cycling gets in the headlines, but so does dangerous driving

I'm an "Murican quoting a movie based over the pond.......

Danny Butterman: Hey, why can't we say "accident," again?
    Nicholas Angel: Because "accident" implies there's nobody to blame.

In the US any crimes that a judge, lawyer, or politician might commit carries a relatively lower sentence to anything that a poor person or commoner could do wrong. :wink:
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • I dont even know what you are meaning. MPs now debating dangerous cycling soon - not got a problem with that if we ensure the police take dangerous driving against cyclists just as seriously. Too many dumb fookwits in cars - all get helmet cams and maybe police use it as video evidence, and dish out #200 fines every time with 3pts. Would have no issue in us cyclists being scrutinsed either.