Thoughts on this hardtail, good for the money?

avalanche_expert
avalanche_expert Posts: 177
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to add a second hardtail to my bike collection. I'm looking for bikes under £2500 but better than £1500.

My current bike is a GT Avalanche Expert, aluminium framed, 3x10 Deore/Deore XT mix, Rockshox Reba RL 100mm solo air straight steerer fork, Deore XT hydraulic brakes & Mavic Crossride aluminium wheels running Shwalbe Rocket Ron as tubeless, 9mm QR axles.

I'm looking for a bike which is similar/slightly better in spec and lighter in weight without spending lots of money. I like the idea of a carbon frame, thicker axles, 1x11 drivetrain and better forks.

I also want to own another hardtail so at least one is always operational whilst one maybe occasionally temporarily out of action waiting on new parts or components due to wear or failure. I was MTB less for 2 months due to a warranty issue with Rockshox this summer.

I like the look of this and to me it looks like decent spec at the price?

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/gt_zaskar_ ... 8-ID_72949

Comments

• Not great value but a good bike if you want a fast, racey xc bike. Not good if you want an all round trail bike.
    The fork on it isn't better than a Reba. As good but definitely not better.
  • Not great value but a good bike if you want a fast, racey xc bike. Not good if you want an all round trail bike.
    The fork on it isn't better than a Reba. As good but definitely not better.

Thank you for your reply. A fast racey XC bike is exactly what I like, I'm not after an all rounder trails bike. I'm interested in trying Fox forks as the 2 Rockshox I've owned have me less than Impressed. I take on board that you say this particular fork is no netter than what I have.

What kind of XC bike would you recommend at this price level?
  • At this price you would get a much better bike from Canyon or Rose.
    Less money and better spec:
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-p ... aid:883846
  • Thanks for that suggestion I'd not even thought of Rose bikes. Very good suggestion!
  • Think I might go for the Rose. It looks like the best spec and most suitable for my needs.

Their sizing on the website is a bit off putting, being mail order from overseas is also slightly off putting. However looking at their geometey info against my GT I think a medium will be fine.

If worst comes to the worst I can send it back.
  • Contact them. They have a UK rep who is really helpful and knows his onions. He may be able to advise on sizing.