Help, crank problems

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
edited September 2017 in Workshop
Just spent 20 min reviewing videos of how to remove the crank arm on my FSA Omega crankset, so I can change the BB.

So just turn the self extracting Allen bolt it said. It might be a bit stiff . . . .

So I turn the allen bolt (anti clock wise, as the videos said). Yep it was stiff, but eventually with a couple of creaks it starts moving.

However, instead of removing the crank, the retaining nut pops out, stripping all the threads on the way!!!! :?

1. How the hell do I now get the crank arm off?
2. Do I need a new crank arm / crankset?

Bugger!
:oops: :x
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• Apologies if this is obvious,but when you say 'stipping all the threads', do you mean on both retaining bolt and inside of crank itself? If just the retaining bolt, you can get replacement, insert fully, and try again. Good luck, John
  • If the threads on the crank arm are stripped you are in trouble, because even a conventional extractor would rely on those threads.

The way to get it out of the crank is then to use a bearing extractor... it needs to push on the axle and pull the crank arm from the back. Not sure how easy it is to find one that works. You might need to bodge something... sounds like a good shop job
    left the forum March 2023
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    The retaining nut on the crank arm is the piece that came out.
    The threads have gone on the arm where the retaining bolt came out and the crank is still on.

Looking at having a chat with the bike shop tomorrow
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • FSR_XC wrote:
    The retaining nut on the crank arm is the piece that came out.
    The threads have gone on the arm where the retaining bolt came out and the crank is still on.
    Looking at having a chat with the bike shop tomorrow
    Ahh, the dreaded (occasionally) self extracting crankset bolt. If you have a proper crank extractor tool there are likely some threads still left that you could attempt to screw the tool into and get the arm off. I've come across enough of these self extracting setups that have stripped threads to just not bother and always remove the extractor cap and use a good quality extractor tool instead.