What kind of clipless shoes do you wear on your commute?

pmorgan1
pmorgan1 Posts: 173
edited September 2017 in Commuting chat
Hi,

My Specializied Comp MTB (SPD) served me well over last 7 years. I felt they were light, breathable yet hide cleats for walking on tarmac or even running on the slippery floor during triathlon transitions!

Now it's time to shop around. What would people recommend and why?

Comments

• I have some old Mavic Rush (I think, if they're not then they're similar) with one ratchet straps and two velcro straps and chunky treads that mostly hide the cleat. Been fine for me, 4 years old and no problems in of themselves although they're fairly well ventilated so even with overshoes are chilly in winter. Not sure about light tho, never really had other SPD shoes to compare. Think they were under £80 when I bought them. Good value IMO.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Shimano mtb for me. Have had them about 5-6 years, they've done club runs , commuting, a bit if mtb. My commute is to a station 12 miles away then I catch a train to London and have another just over a mile walk . They're great. Deffo not light but do a great job.
  • zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    SPDs. I love my Shimano sandals for summer.
    Good sole for walking but otherwise lightweight, velcro fastener & water resistant for winter.
    And then it just depends what I like in the shop within my price range.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I wear these bad boys and I love them.

specialized-bg-comp-road-shoe-EV139098-9999-1.jpg

Tried many different brands before buying them but these just fit my feet. YMMV

They have even been through the washing machine a few times when they get a bit smelly from rainwater/winter commuting (put them inside a pillowcase/cushion cover to protect the shoes and washing machine and put in loads of conditioner. They come out smelling sweet).

MTB SPD cleats FTW for commuting. About five years old and never changed them.
    FCN = 4
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got several pairs of two bolt SPD shoes, Shimano XC70 & XC90 shoes, Spesh BG shoes, one with 3 velcro straps and one with a boa mechanism and a pair of DHBs that have been around for 7 years and still have a good thickness of sole on them.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • M520 pedals + Giro Republic SPDs for the commute.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Diadora, because they come up wide which suits my feet - whatever CRC has in the sales usually.

MTB SPD cleats - Mostly M520 although I use boardman MTB pro pedals on my good bikes, which save 100g....
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    SPD all the way for me, for commuting and all riding really as I walk in them also (cafes etc).

I have these.

Why? Because they're awesome!

Comfy, not too expensive, hard-wearing.

giro-privateer-mtb-shoes-EV172779-8500-1.jpg
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Shimano MT23 with SPD cleats.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Giro Terraduro - nice grippy soles

giro-terraduro-mtb-shoe-black-EV202071-8500-1.jpg
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 793
    Speedplays on SIDI Mega 5-fit. Mainly because overshoes seem to fit a lot better and wear out less on with a road shoe/cleat, but also so I can just use one pair of shoes across both of my bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    M520's and some 7 year old Spesh Tahoe's for me. I also use some Shimano lace/strap shoes occasionally (they are my MTBing shoes but if the commute shoes are wet....).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Shimano M089 SPD if not raining, Shimano MW7's with SPD's if it is.

Love the MO89's, not that impressed by the MW7's, water proofing less than perfect...but they are nice and warm in the winter...essential when your heart doesnt pump round blood properly.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    M520 pedals + Giro Republic SPDs for the commute.

Exactly the same as me !!!!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Republics and M520s, mostly. Have Ritchey Paradigm on the Audax bike. Speedplay for actual riding, with SLXs.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Giro Privateer R on the not so nice days, Giro Empire VR90 on the nice days.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    ^ good call; I do similarly, albeit with some DZRs or NW Artics on the grot days. BTW, nice piece on the Alliston case- an even-handed approach lacking elsewhere; thank you.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    DrLex wrote:
    ^ good call; I do similarly, albeit with some DZRs or NW Artics on the grot days. BTW, nice piece on the Alliston case- an even-handed approach lacking elsewhere; thank you.

Ta!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    M520 pedal's on all my bikes.

I wear more MTB orientated shoes. I started of with the Specialized Tahoe shoe which was excellent. Got through 2 pairs, but each time lasted about 2 years.

I then went for some Northwave spike Evo. I love the 3 velcro straps over laces, plus these are good in wet weather. I don't like the slippy undersole, I often unclip and rest my foot on the pedal when coming up to junctions (or just pulling away)...can't easily do this as it slips of the clipless pedal easily (bashed shin multiple times).

I've recently picked up some Shimano AM5's from Evans (fairly cheap!). These are great, although fairly heavy (but feel like they will last forever). These will be my goto commuting shoe for the time being :)

I won't get anymore until the AM5's die, but I do like the look of fivetens (they seem quite light, and super comfy).
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got 520's on the commute bike and 780's on the better bike and a spare pair of 520's cause they were shouting buy me when I saw them for £16. The pedals are cheap as chips and last for ages and at the price of around £20 it isn't a big deal if they do finally expire though the odd bit of care by filling the pedal with grease and reassembly gives them a new lease of life.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    nich wrote:
    I then went for some Northwave spike Evo. I love the 3 velcro straps over laces, plus these are good in wet weather. I don't like the slippy undersole, I often unclip and rest my foot on the pedal when coming up to junctions (or just pulling away)...can't easily do this as it slips of the clipless pedal easily (bashed shin multiple times).
    Use Northwaves (of various sorts) myself. Haven't had the slippy sole issue but then I don't spend a lot of time unclipped. Also my MTB has the SPD variant (can't remember the model) with a metal platform as well so it gives better support and grip when unclipped anyway.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Giro Rumble VR, great on and off the bike. Can't fault them.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I flit between some ancient Spesh MTB comp shoes from Commute V1.0 and M530 pedals and some Shimano SPD SL Shoes (RO82 possibly) and Look Keos.

I prefer the Keos and Road shoes, but on the odd occasion I need to walk somewhere I'm much happier in MTB shoes.

When winter comes again I might get back on the Keos though because overshoes fit better and they dry loads quicker.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062

Bloody awkward to find overshoes that fit though... size 10 upwards, I mean
  • JGSI wrote:

Bloody awkward to find overshoes that fit though... size 10 upwards, I mean

Yes, that is my next mission, think I'll go for the Giro Proof MTB overshoes.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Sidi shoes and A520 pedals.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Shimano spd pedals, but just wear regular trainers, as it's only 4 km commute.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    7 year old pair of Spesh MTB and 520s.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Wore DMTs for years. They for my feet really well. Currently riding Fiziks (which don't) courtesy of PX's clearance offers.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Keos have gone back on today so I can pop my toe covers back on. Cold tootsies last week.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017