London Terror Attack on Tube (Fri 15th Sep 2017)

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited September 2017 in The cake stop
Police are stating that the explosion on the tube train at Parsons Green was a terrorist attack. Some reports claiming that it was a failed attempt to cause more carnage. Yet people are injured and fled in terror. Not failed in my opinion.
Thoughts with those that are affected directly and indirectly.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    I heard the bang this morning from Wimbledon :(
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Tw@ts.
  • Just seen the picture. Non exploding bucket.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    A friend of mine was on the train when it happened. Manged to lose her jacket, purse, keys etc when evacuating the train. Still had her phone, so was posting on facebook to tell family and friends she was ok.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited September 2017
    seanoconn wrote:

What bang? There's not much being reported at the moment like that. It doesn't look like there was enough force to damage the train itself, so I'd be surprised if it was that loud? More of a flash of flame than anything else.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Just seen the picture. Non exploding bucket.
    Yes, the picture doesn't look very scary does it. Apparently there was an initial flash fire from what people have said. My favourite account is from a bloke that was on the carriage but further away. He said everybody rushed to get off and then he wandered over for a look. Said it looked like a bucket of mayonnaise. Very British and understated attitude.
    The worrying thing is reports of people running away along the tracks. Not sure if they are true as all sorts of rubbish gets spouted after such things. But I'm pretty sure there is a live rail on those tracks, being killed trying to get away would ruin your day.
    Anyway, hopefully they will catch whoever did this and their accomplices. Still early but I'm sure a lot more information will come out over the next few days. Meanwhile, business as usual.
  • I think the fact that there are no flash marks or anything surrounding the bucket and the Lidl carrier bag and the bucket itself are still intact tells the story of the flaming fireball rampaging through the train......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,538
    Well Matt doesn't like people from that part of London, so I can see why he's disappointed...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,609
    I think the fact that there are no flash marks or anything surrounding the bucket and the Lidl carrier bag and the bucket itself are still intact tells the story of the flaming fireball rampaging through the train......
    Latest information implies the device didn't fully detonate, which would explain the photos of the more or less intact bucket.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    mfin wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

What bang? There's not much being reported at the moment like that. It doesn't look like there was enough force to damage the train itself, so I'd be surprised if it was that loud? More of a flash of flame than anything else.
    I heard a distant bang around the same time. Thought it too much of a coincidence not to be connected.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    Can also see some locals getting annoyed with BBC coverage.

Guys, we're north of the river, so we're West London, not South West...!

tenor.gif
  • Trump's up early today.

Anyhow, bloke in next carriage said no bang whatsoever, a whump. That's it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Veronese68 wrote:
    But I'm pretty sure there is a live rail on those tracks...

630V DC. Fourfoot rail negative, cess/sixfoot rail positive.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I think the fact that there are no flash marks or anything surrounding the bucket and the Lidl carrier bag and the bucket itself are still intact tells the story of the flaming fireball rampaging through the train......

Aye, that photo of the girl being treated in the pub with the skin all burned off her legs and hands. What a faker...
  • veronese68

I know, get the important things right. Funny how many people think Chelsea 'should' be south of the river.

Lots of guess work and assumption on my part but from the bits I've heard I suspect that the reality is that whatever it was didn't go off properly. Flash fire possibly with splashing of burning stuff onto those stood in immediately around it. That would have caused a few people to have quite severe burns. A few that were 1 or 2 people away when it went off could have more minor injuries. Probably a few got hurt in the rush to get away. Thankfully it wasn't worse.
    Hopefully they will work out who did it and any accomplices very quickly and there won't be any more.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Trump's up early today.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/15/politics/donald-trump-london-terrorist-attack/index.html

Yep, and apparently immediately using it as an excuse to mention travel restrictions aaaagain.
  • rick_chasey
    Veronese68 wrote:

I know, get the important things right. Funny how many people think Chelsea 'should' be south of the river.
    They just wanna bring us down!
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Quite scary when your initial reaction is, meh!*

*Should add as a disclaimer, meh meant as: terrorist attack isn't a surprise anymore. I know it's not particularly close to home for me, but I've started to just accept it happens now.....

Not good.
  • he does not even know who did it. It could be christain terrorist for all we know. What we do know they are not very good at setting of bombs which is a good thing.

In fact we know little we dont even know if there was a bang.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rick_chasey
    Dinyull wrote:
    Quite scary when your initial reaction is, meh!*

*Should add as a disclaimer, meh meant as: terrorist attack isn't a surprise anymore. I know it's not particularly close to home for me, but I've started to just accept it happens now.....

Not good.

You say that.

If it's meh, it reduces the impact.

For it to work it's gotta be, y'know, terrifying.

Kinda the point.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Mrs was walking the dog by PG when this all kicked off. Said police were everywhere within minutes. Choppers in the air, the lot.

Glad it was a sh!t effort, could have been much worse if that 10L paint pot went bang properly!
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • veronese68
    he does not even know who did it. It could be christain terrorist for all we know. What we do know they are not very good at setting of bombs which is a good thing.
    Indeed, this doesn't fit in with recent patterns. No suicide bomber going for glory, no driving a vehicle at people. Not sure if the person that set the device was still there but this seems more like leave a bomb and walk away.
    Reminded me of the 'good old days' of the IRA.

Not for a moment saying they had anything to do with it. They did things very differently with warnings so as to cause maximum disruption rather than loss of life.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,451
    My guess would be lone nutter with whatever extremist view who read an online bomb making guide and made a bit of a hash of it. Not that it's a consolation to those who got injured, hopefully everyone can make a full recovery.

It sounds like many injuries may have resulted from the crush whilst escaping. I'm surprised that they were apparently told to run by officials, that seems contrary to every bit of official advice I've ever heard. I'm sure in reality it's the instinct of anyone in that situation but it needs those in charge to try to maintain calm.

Aye, that photo of the girl being treated in the pub with the skin all burned off her legs and hands. What a faker...

You're not a medic are you?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dinyull
    Pross wrote:
    It sounds like many injuries may have resulted from the crush whilst escaping. I'm surprised that they were apparently told to run by officials, that seems contrary to every bit of official advice I've ever heard. I'm sure in reality it's the instinct of anyone in that situation but it needs those in charge to try to maintain calm.

There was also "apparently" murmurs of a knife man - like previous attacks. Not sure any officials would advise against running from one of those.

Doesn't sound like it was true mind, but I'd imagine that whatever any official said, ordinary folk were worried for their lives and panicked.
  • The classic line that raised some eyebrows at work was the woman who said she had to stand on a child to run away.

FFS, you don't go standing and running on kiddies.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dinyull
    The classic line that raised some eyebrows at work was the woman who said she had to stand on a child to run away.

Was she trying to beat the rush on french lentils?
  • rick_chasey
    Well Matt doesn't like people from that part of London, so I can see why he's disappointed...

Told ya ;)
  • Dinyull wrote:
    The classic line that raised some eyebrows at work was the woman who said she had to stand on a child to run away.

Was she trying to beat the rush on french lentils?

shhh - don't say things like that - Rick will get all angry.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mfin wrote:
    Trump's up early today.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/15/politics/donald-trump-london-terrorist-attack/index.html

Yep, and apparently immediately using it as an excuse to mention travel restrictions aaaagain.

But it's not a travel ban it's a travel ban ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.