2017 worlds

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    It was about 30 odd riders by that point tbf, so yes, staggering decision not to go with it by the time the second move went.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Yeah. I had no screen, just saw them every time up box, so I have been assuming for the past 5 years that that group was still the peloton.
  • Fair enough.

By the side of the road I must have confused the break with the peloton.

<smugface.gif>
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    So apparently Cummings has pulled out of the ITT as he hadn't been expecting to do it and had been training with the RR in mind. A bit strange.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Dabber wrote:
    So apparently Cummings has pulled out of the ITT as he hadn't been expecting to do it and had been training with the RR in mind. A bit strange.
    Who's in charge these days? Is it still Ellingworth?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    Who's in charge these days? Is it still Ellingworth?

Seems it's me.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Did no-one from BC speak to Cummings before selecting him? Surely he would have told them then that he wasn't up for it.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Maybe they assumed the National Champion would be going to worlds. Maybe Cummings decided to not do the ITT when he wasn't selected for the RR?!
    BC and Cummings tend to eternally be at odds.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I presume they'd want to use him to recon for Froome.

Not really his style.

Does this mean that Thomas / Stannard? have a go at the ITT?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Maybe they assumed the National Champion would be going to worlds. Maybe Cummings decided to not do the ITT when he wasn't selected for the RR?!

Even more reason to speak to him to see whether he wants to be selected for the TT. And he was a fairly surprise winner of the National TT Champs.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    Timoid. wrote:
    I presume they'd want to use him to recon for Froome.

Not really his style.

Does this mean that Thomas / Stannard? have a go at the ITT?
    Tao Geogheghanganan Hart is doing it. Presumably as he's good for recon as you say.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    “I’m a little surprised and disappointed with not making the Worlds road race team. But I have to respect the selection process, and wish all the lads well. I will focus on the remaining Italian races for my team.”

Cummings’s withdrawal means that Chris Froome will now be joined by Tao Geoghegan Hart in the individual time trial, which British Cycling performance director Stephen Park described as “an opportunity he will relish”.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... 8Doh2i7.99
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Did no-one from BC speak to Cummings before selecting him? Surely he would have told them then that he wasn't up for it.

His own statement said he was told in August that he was at least reserve for TT. You would of thought he would of said then that he wasn't going to train for it!
  • Apologies if this is a stupid question - did they have to replace Cummings with someone from RR squad?

Why not Dowsett?
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:

No, thats just CRAZY talk
  • M.R.M. wrote:

They do indeed. Ever since Cummings left Sky... :wink:
  • RoubaixMB wrote:
    Apologies if this is a stupid question - did they have to replace Cummings with someone from RR squad?

Why not Dowsett?

TGH was already going out as he's doing the RR.

But fundamentally, the fact is that the Sky riders do get given 'most favoured' status
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RoubaixMB wrote:
    Apologies if this is a stupid question - did they have to replace Cummings with someone from RR squad?

Why not Dowsett?

TGH was already going out as he's doing the RR.

But fundamentally, the fact is that the Sky riders do get given 'most favoured' status
    Not sure I fancy Dowsett for a TT with a climb like that at the end of it anyway?
  • okgo
    RoubaixMB wrote:

Why not Dowsett?

Also it probably suits Hart more than Dowsett
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    RoubaixMB wrote:

Why not Dowsett?

Also it probably suits Hart more than Dowsett

Its not about who can break top 15 - Tao certainly won't, top 35-40 if he goes well
  • okgo
    Well who cares then? We've got the winner already in Froome. Nobody else we send is as good as him.
  • Dibben won the TT in California but probably hasn't focused on it since.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I'd have thought Thomas would have been the logical choice. He's just finished the ToB so must have a reasonable level of fitness and whilst the TT there was short he wasn't far off the pace. Surely his experience would be beneficial in a recon and he's out there with a TT bike.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    I'd have thought Thomas would have been the logical choice. He's just finished the ToB so must have a reasonable level of fitness and whilst the TT there was short he wasn't far off the pace. Surely his experience would be beneficial in a recon and he's out there with a TT bike.
    But surely Thomas has already said no, hence why Cummings the reserve got picked. It's good experience for TGH and he seems one of the sport's thinkers
  • okgo wrote:
    Well who cares then? We've got the winner already in Froome. Nobody else we send is as good as him.

Hehehe
  • My Man Tao!

Will be a big opportunity and learning experience for him. Well chuffed.

Did GB only get two TT places though? Plenty of others seem to have three or four.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Dunno whats wrong with the selection at British Cycling but there are more talented and established TTists than Tao.
    Doull, Dibben, Kennaugh, Thomas, anybody would beat Tao.
    And where's Dowsett?
    Hell, even Ed Clancy will be better than Tao.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    My Man Tao!

Will be a big opportunity and learning experience for him. Well chuffed.

Did GB only get two TT places though? Plenty of others seem to have three or four.

2 places per nation.
    Plus World Champ and Regional Champs eg Africa, Europe etc. can ride, but these are personal spots so the Champ must take the place ie not substitutable.
  • Dunno whats wrong with the selection at British Cycling but there are more talented and established TTists than Tao.
    And where's Dowsett?

TGH has been GB U23 Nat TT Champ runner up, and 9th in the UEC European U23 TT Champs

And Clancy's palmares in championship TTs is...?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Dunno whats wrong with the selection at British Cycling but there are more talented and established TTists than Tao.
    And where's Dowsett?
    Dowsett won't be any good cos it has a big fuckoff climb at the end of it.

None of those will have anywhere near as good a chance as Froome - what's the point? Tao gets the experience and to scope the course for Froome.

Not necessarily how I'd do it but I see the logic.