Help me buy a TV please

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,400
edited September 2017 in The cake stop
I'd like to buy a big flat screen jobby but things have moved on a bit since I last bought one. It won't be going on a wall and I must be able to turn it off unlike the Samsung I have. I'd like to be able to watch Netflix so maybe a smart TV? Is that such a thing? Help! I don't know what I'm doing and I haven't got time to spend two weeks obsessively researching. What do I need?
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• What do you mean turn it off?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    What do you mean turn it off?

What he said!

How big? What resolution?

They're all smart these days, and if not, you can buy an Amazon Firestick and plug it in the side of the TV for all that.

Get a soundbase or soundbar too. They rock.
  • seanoconn
    I couldn't turn my Samsung off, best you could do was to put it on standby unless you switched it off by the plug which isn't always easy to get to.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Size and budget old chap
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • seanoconn
    hopkinb wrote:

What he said!

How big? What resolution?

They're all smart these days, and if not, you can buy an Amazon Firestick and plug it in the side of the TV for all that.

Get a soundbase or soundbar too. They rock.
    40-55" is that big? I don't know what resolution that's why I'm asking.
  • hopkinb
    Budget will determine resolution.
  • seanoconn
    Flâneur wrote:
    Size and budget old chap
    Under £1,000 43" or 50"
  • hopkinb
    Go on Richer Sounds website. Loads of big name choice with 4k capability for that budget. Keep back £300 for a Canton DM55 soundbase. Makes a HUGE difference to your viewing pleasure.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    This is going to go against all advice given out on here.

Get yourself a budget smart TV. £300 will get you close to 50".

Brother spent a fortune on an expensive smart do all HD thing years ago, failed just outside of warranty. Replaced with an Asda or Tesco special for under half he paid for the other and has lasted longer so far.

And when it does fail, he hasn't lost a small fortune.
  • seanoconn wrote:
    I couldn't turn my Samsung off, best you could do was to put it on standby unless you switched it off by the plug which isn't always easy to get to.

There aren't many, if any, left with on off buttons now. I vaguely recall that my current Samsung actually has one though :D
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • hopkinb
    My Sony I bought 7 years ago is still going strong. I'd really quite like it to break down so I can get one that doesn't have a massive bezel.
  • seanoconn wrote:

This - you can't turn either of ours off. It's daft and I can't really see the point.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb wrote:
    My Sony I bought 7 years ago is still going strong. I'd really quite like it to break down so I can get one that doesn't have a massive bezel.

I know some people around here who are a massive bezel.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ask Garry. He'll have a brilliant answer.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Oh yes - my Samsung is the same too. Can't say its been a problem. I don't know how much electricity its using on standby...
  • hopkinb
    Why do you want it turned off? Is it the power wasted keeping the standby light on? It's not a lot. £2 a year, something like that I remember reading.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I think standby counts as off nowadays, they use no power on standby now unlike a few years back. Or are you like the old man that used to live next door to us and you unplug everything at night in case of fire?
  • hopkinb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I think standby counts as off nowadays, they use no power on standby now unlike a few years back. Or are you like the old man that used to live next door to us and you unplug everything at night in case of fire?

Mrs H3(2) does this. Goes round unplugging stuff, but not everything. Why? Fire risk. Why not unplug your phone charger then? Not a fire risk. I've given up, I just let her get on with it.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/sony-bravia-kd49xe9005bu-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10159515-pdt.html

If you can wait a bit, I reckon that will drop under a grand. Now is not the best time for TV prices. (I haven't even looked around on that one).

It is pretty well future proof for the ways you'll be watching by the sounds of it. 4K and HDR ticked off with a great screen.

As for turning off at the wall, don't do it. You could affect the life of the TV, a lot of these Smart TVs now do updates and stuff when in standby. Because the software is more complex a lot of them take a long time to boot from being turned off, and even more to become properly responsive. Sony ones are Android based, just like a phone, there were stories of disgruntled customers early on but that is pretty much old hat now.

I assume your internet connection is good enough for the highest quality streaming? Plus the router's wifi signal needs to be good and reliable, or wiring it up to the router is the best way really.

Oh... go to currys or something and look at the picture on the cheaper models vs the expensive models of the very same make. See if it matters to you, it does to me and the differences I find obvious. The other thing you will see that you can't see online is how reflective the screen is, some are much more and in a bright room you will be looking at yourself when the TV is showing dark scenes.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,520
    get a quality dumb tv

you can't rely on smart ones have their software/apps kept up to date in any useful way, especially after the first year of so from launch, apps can vanish without notice or take months to be fixed if the service changes, some are laughably insecure, plus they can have stupidly long start up time

then there's the chance an update will simply brick the whole thing requiring it to be taken to a service centre to get going again (yes, really)

if you want apps, streaming services etc., external devices are more flexible and better supported, add a decent pvr, sorted
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • hopkinb wrote:
    Why do you want it turned off? Is it the power wasted keeping the standby light on? It's not a lot. £2 a year, something like that I remember reading.

Just can't see the point in having things on standby when you're not likely to use them for days (such as teh tv ion teh front room - hardly ever go in there as we have a snug by the kitchen which we use all the time) so why have the tv on stand by.

Theoretically throughout the house and garage I could the following on standby

2x tv
    3x radio alarms
    2x hi-fi, one of which is an older cd and amp set up, so that counts as 2, then the iPod dock thing that most people have as well
    1x Optimate
    1x battery charger for the drill
    2x iPad charger
    3x telephone charger
    1x PC

and undoubtedly stuff I don't even realise/remember and whatever junk TDV has as well.

Ok, the actual cost is minimal but the principal is there.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    seanoconn wrote:
    I'd like to buy a big flat screen jobby but things have moved on a bit since I last bought one. It won't be going on a wall and I must be able to turn it off unlike the Samsung I have. I'd like to be able to watch Netflix so maybe a smart TV? Is that such a thing? Help! I don't know what I'm doing and I haven't got time to spend two weeks obsessively researching. What do I need?

What you nee old son is for the local constabulary to shoot some gangsta type so that his mates kick off.
    Then just pop into your local Currys and help yourself.
    You have to be quick mind, 'cause once they're gone they're gone.
  • "Household appliances are not designed to be left on standby mode overnight."

How come the above posts say they are and the manufacturers only do a standby not a switch off mode?

Now I'm confused

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    hopkinb wrote:
    Mrs H3(2) does this. Goes round unplugging stuff, but not everything. Why? Fire risk. Why not unplug your phone charger then? Not a fire risk. I've given up, I just let her get on with it.
    A battery on charge is probably more likely to catch fire than most electronic items isn't it?
  • hopkinb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    A battery on charge is probably more likely to catch fire than most electronic items isn't it?

EXACTLY. :evil:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    "Household appliances are not designed to be left on standby mode overnight."

How come the above posts say they are and the manufacturers only do a standby not a switch off mode?

Now I'm confused

They wouldn't sell as many remote control sockets if it said "Household appliances are ok to be left on overnight, but if you want to spend £19.99 for three, be our guest".

Someone mentioned the Tesco TV. That says 0.5w on standby, I make that less than a pound a year.

My parents always used to unplug eveything before they went to bed, there were even public information films on the telly saying that this is what you should do. I think this was before the days of 'fused plugs' being the standard.

The older I get, the better I was.

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    It's difficult to buy a cr@p TV these days. In my experience Samsung, Sony and LG are all excellent. I have a curved TV which offers no discernable viewing benefit over a flat screen although it is a good picture. As has been said elsewhere, buy from Richer Sounds or similar unless your high st shop has an absolute bargain on offer when you're looking. I have a Sony 4k soundbar which is absolutely stunning and easy to set up. Think it was 300 quid a couple of years ago but there are alternatives to meet every price point and most of them offer significantly better sound than your TV speakers. Whatever you buy will be instantly outdated and available cheaper the minute you leave the shop but is likely to give you many years of trouble free viewing.