2017 worlds

Comments

• okgo wrote:
    The hill in the RR doesn't look that bad on the profile and is a long way from the finish, would have thought many of the sprinters would be able to hold on?

11 times up it though.

I'd be pretty surprised.

Cav etc couldn't even hold on to the group 9 times up Box during the olympics, and this is a little harder than that.

Umm, yes he did

It was when Fabs and co went off the front after the front group, and Millar decided the GB guys shouldnt chase, that it went wrong. Cav even asked Millar whether he (Cav) should try to bridge across
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Umm, yes he did

It was when Fabs and co went off the front after the front group, and Millar decided the GB guys shouldnt chase, that it went wrong. Cav even asked Millar whether he (Cav) should try to bridge across
    I thought it was the other way around. Millar thought they should go with the breakaways, but Cavendish wanted to stay put.

(Mind you I think I heard that from Millar, so who knows)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    okgo wrote:
    The hill in the RR doesn't look that bad on the profile and is a long way from the finish, would have thought many of the sprinters would be able to hold on?

11 times up it though.

I'd be pretty surprised.

Cav etc couldn't even hold on to the group 9 times up Box during the olympics, and this is a little harder than that.

Umm, yes he did

Let me put it this way.

I was by the top at box and Cav had been dropped on the final climb. He practically ran over my feet.
  • rick_chasey
    Nor is it like Cav doesn't get dropped on the Poggio most years...!

Anyway, I don't think sprinters will get over it, which is why guys like Kittell and Bouhani aren't doing it.
  • okgo wrote:

11 times up it though.

I'd be pretty surprised.

Umm, yes he did

Let me put it this way.

I was by the top at box and Cav had been dropped on the final climb. He practically ran over my feet.

GET OUT
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Nor is it like Cav doesn't get dropped on the Poggio most years...!

Anyway, I don't think sprinters will get over it, which is why guys like Kittell and Bouhani aren't doing it.
    If you've got a decent allocation of riders and no obvious option then you might as well take your sprinter along and see what happens. Even if it just means you can have a rider in a group and have an excuse not to ride for a bit. I reckon if Cav hadn't had such an injury and illness affected season they'd probably have sent him.

I'm thinking Sagan, Kwia and Gilbert are probably in with a good shout, probably in that order.
  • RichN95.
    Bookies odds (from Bet365)

9/4 Sagan
    9/1 Boasson Hagen
    13/2 Kwiatkowski
    11/1 Gaviria
    12/1 Van Avermaet
    16/1 Matthews, Trentin
    18/1 Kristoff
    22/1 Viviani
    25/1 Gilbert, Alaphilippe
    33/1 Degenkolb, Stuyven, Moscon
  • imatfaal wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Sky's TTT team: Froome, Thomas, Kwiatkowski, Moscon, Kiryienka, Doull

I think they are taking it seriously

With that team selection in the TTT and the hill in the ITT it is not beyond the bounds of possibility for Froome to end up with two Grand Tours and two World championships

Thomas ok for the TTT but not the ITT or Road Race?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • imatfaal wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

With that team selection in the TTT and the hill in the ITT it is not beyond the bounds of possibility for Froome to end up with two Grand Tours and two World championships

Doing his turns in a TTT over a 42.5km course vs being out for over an hour in the Race of Truth that's the TT (and taking the place of say Cummings who's the Nat Champ)...apples and pears....
  • RichN95.
    I dare say he could knock out a time trial if they were desperate, but they're not. He wouldn't be competitive so I doubt he's terribly enthused at the prospect of battling to 15th position (at best). On the other hand he's fit enough to contribute properly to a TTT team that will challenge for a medal.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    I'd PTP pick Sky with that lineup for the TTT if we picked those as well. Cracking lineup!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    I'd PTP pick Sky with that lineup for the TTT if we picked those as well. Cracking lineup!
    I'd never want to bet against BMC. It's very much their thing. And Marco Pinotti seems to know exactly how to plan them
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2017
    Lotto Jumbo are the dark horse for the podium.

Though if it rains...

tony-fuggedaboutit.jpg
  • imatfaal wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Doing his turns in a TTT over a 42.5km course vs being out for over an hour in the Race of Truth that's the TT (and taking the place of say Cummings who's the Nat Champ)...apples and pears....

Dunno.
    I'm fairly sure (in the hypothetical circumstance that I was a world class cyclist returning from injury) that I'd rather do a TT at my own pace than try to do the TTT with Froome, Kiryienka et al.

I acknowledge that Cummings has a decent TT and is national champion but I'd have thought he'd be in the road race team instead.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    edited September 2017
    imatfaal wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Dunno.
    I'm fairly sure (in the hypothetical circumstance that I was a world class cyclist returning from injury) that I'd rather do a TT at my own pace than try to do the TTT with Froome, Kiryienka et al.

I acknowledge that Cummings has a decent TT and is national champion but I'd have thought he'd be in the road race team instead.

Given that it is highly unlikely that he will be able to ride away from a couple of dozen of the best classics riders in the World, he is far more likely to revert to type and ride at the back for 250k as he did in Richmond (not appreciated by some management and riders), which contributes nothing to the team. They are blooding 4 younger guys who have not ridden this level or distance previously and who will gain experience from it and be prepared to get their hands dirty. Given they do not have a realistic contender anyway this probably seems a better long term decision.
  • ^this
  • rick_chasey
    They really should move the worlds to early August.
  • rick_chasey
    Have realised I am also missing it all because i'll be on holiday in Italy.

tenor.gif
  • RichN95.
    If you did that a load of top class riders would just stop their season after it and the subsequent races would be diminished in quality
  • okgo wrote:

11 times up it though.

I'd be pretty surprised.

Umm, yes he did

Let me put it this way.

GET OUT

800px_COLOURBOX1776379.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Have realised I am also missing it all because i'll be on holiday in Italy.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • m.r.m.
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    I'd never want to bet against BMC. It's very much their thing. And Marco Pinotti seems to know exactly how to plan them
    Can't argue with that.

The parcours having some climbing in it might favour the Evil Empire a tad over the usual beef wagons of BMC and QS though!

Can we add Men's TTT to PTP or would that necessitate having to pick woman's TTT and junior races as well etc.? Otherwise Rich, we can have a side bet for a drink if I ever make it to a Pro Race forum meetup. :wink:
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Can we add Men's TTT to PTP or would that necessitate having to pick woman's TTT and junior races as well etc.? Otherwise Rich, we can have a side bet for a drink if I ever make it to a Pro Race forum meetup. :wink:
    I said I wouldn't want to bet against them. But I'm not sure I'd want to bet with them either.

Here's the BMC team: Rohan Dennis (Aus), Silvan Dillier (Swi), Stefan Küng (Swi), Daniel Oss (Ita), Manuel Quinziato (Ita), Miles Scotson (Aus). Not as star-studded as Sky, but a solid collection of steady power.
  • m.r.m.
    RichN95 wrote:
    I said I wouldn't want to bet against them. But I'm not sure I'd want to bet with them either.
    Hahaha way to go out on a limb there! :P

I agree though. QS, BMC and Orica will always be in the mix. Wonder if Katusha will manage something. Seems Tony Martin has faded from memory and view despite currently still wearing the rainbow bands. He has been utterly anonymous at ITT's the whole season!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

The weekend before the Tour would be the best slot, you'd be guaranteed a top quality field all close to top form. Why waste that weekend on the National Champs?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    andyp wrote:

The weekend before the Tour would be the best slot, you'd be guaranteed a top quality field all close to top form. Why waste that weekend on the National Champs?

When would you put the national champs ?

They really should stop having it while I'm working away on a different time zone
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    okgo wrote:

11 times up it though.

I'd be pretty surprised.

Box Hill is a longer climb by a fair amount though?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Hoskings and Neylan win their appeals against Cycling Kangaroo non-selection. Embarrassing for the latter. The governing body needs a shoeing
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    okgo wrote:

11 times up it though.

I'd be pretty surprised.

Umm, yes he did

Let me put it this way.

GET OUT

Just watched it on youtube, Cav 4th wheel over the line final time up behind Froom/Millar and someone else. With the big breaks up the road. He did not get dropped.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rick_chasey
    Fair enough.

By the side of the road I must have confused the break with the peloton.