Wheel upgrade?

meesterbond
meesterbond Posts: 1,240
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
Coming back into mountain biking after a good few years almost exclusively road riding and shopping around for a new bike. I think I've found one I like and it's actually cheaper than the budget I'd mentally set myself.

The build I've selected comes with DT Swiss M1700 wheels (27.5) and I'd guess I'll mostly be using 2.3 - 2.5" tyres on it. It'll be on a 130mm FS trail bike.

So, a couple of questions - are they any good? They felt fine when I test rode it but I've not got a lot to compare it to (my old bike has 26" wheels). If I were to spec a higher set, what would you go for? I guess I could go £800 - £1k if it was going to be worthwhile.

Alternatively I could spend the balance on an upgrade from GX Eagle to X01 but given the more consumable nature of mtb group sets I'm less convinced there.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why are you already talking about upgrades when you haven't even got the bike?

Just ride it for a while after getting it and see how it goes. Upgrade things as they break or wear out unless something really is not to your liking.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Sorry, didn't make that very clear - The bike comes with a number of suggested builds which you can tailor. The one that has the forks, groupset etc that I want on it comes with the DT Swiss wheels as standard but you can change / upgrade them for something else. It's a change to the standard spec rather than an after-sales upgrade.
  • Your thinking about spruging on wheels but you dont know what they tyres are. tyres make a huge difference to how the bike behaves, wheels also do but the tyres are more important.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • True about tyres but they're a lot cheaper to experiment with. The demo I had was on 2.6" Minion / High Rollers I think. Probably overkill so I'd start with the 2.3" version which is what they spec as standard.
  • POAH wrote:
    what bike is it, BIRD?

Yep. Aeris 120
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ask Dan what he recommends. He's not going to bullshit you.
    If they are fitting them in the first place they can't be that bad, but if you really want to splurge they have fancy carbon jobs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools