Calibre two.two v2 (26" wheel) or BTwin RockRider 540 (27.5" wheel)

astilla
astilla Posts: 8
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to get a mountain bike for things that I can't use my decent road bike for. Towpaths, winter road use, forest trails etc - nothing too hardcore but want something capable if I get addicted to more trail use.

The two I'm looking at are:
Calibre two.two v2 - £399 - 26" wheels
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two ... ke-p383858
BTwin RockRider 540 - £379 - 27.5" wheels
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-5 ... 79537.html

I've read reviews of both and both seem capable to meet what I want and I def. can't go above the £400 limit. I think the spec of the Calibre sounds a little better (?) however I'm wondering whether having a slightly worse spec on the 540 but having 27.5" wheels would benefit me if I do any distance rides over tarmac. I've read a few articles on this controversial subject too and from what I gather the difference is minimal and the tyres would have more impact that the slight size of the wheel?

If the 27.5" wheel would be far superior for towpath/trail/road in fairly flat conditions then I'll go for the RockRider otherwise the Calibre.

I already have a decent road bike so assume the MTB would only be rides of 90 mins max. As a point of reference, the MTB will be replacing an old Carrera Subway hybrid that has seen better days. That has 26" wheels. For a replacement I don't want another hybrid as I'd now prefer the road bike & MTB options at either end of the spectrum.

Thanks!

Comments

• I have a Calibre two.two and I really like it. *BUT* I've not had any other bikes to compare to.

It has been known to drop in price to around 350 in the past, but you obviously have to wait and there's no knowing if or when it might happen again.
  • Uber_Pod wrote:
    I have a Calibre two.two and I really like it.

How do you find the gears? Are they smooth and reliable? Dodgy gear selection is what puts me off a bike the quickest. I probably spent more on my old hybrid trying to get them sorted out over the years than the bike cost. My new road bike I went straight for a full Ultegra setup as I couldn't face regretting it. Sadly on this MTB I'm on more limited funds so would favour reliable gears over its off-road ability.
  • Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but there's not a huge difference in gear hardware on each of those bike. The caliber has a couple of deore components mixed in which are slightly better.
    Gear performance will be more limited to good set up really.

Both bikes about the same weight. I think I prefer the rock rider, it looks better, the frame tube angles look a bit more modern and it's a bit cheaper.

They both have budget coil sprung forks, I'd hazard the Xcr on the rock rider might be a bit better of the two.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    If the XCR is the current edition, then isn't that an air fork these days?

Having said that, I think overall I'd probably prefer to have a XC28 vs a coil Suntour fork, just based on experience with suntour coil forks (I could have had a lower model, XCM perhaps, though, so that might colour my view). I know when I came to replace a worn out Suntour coil fork I put the XC28 in and it felt much better.

Agree with the rest of mattyfez's comments though - the rest of the groupset differences are such that they'd be a game changer between the two bikes for the sort of purposes the OP is suggesting.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim wrote:
    If the XCR is the current edition, then isn't that an air fork these days?

Current ones are air, but that one doesnt look to be from the pictures, maybe its a different spec or older OEM model.

I cant really tell from the pictures.
  • larkim
    Yep, that was my take on it too. Given the specs don't talk about air forks, that makes sense. Just thought I'd flag it as something to double check.
  • I'd go for the calibre.

Looks like the 540 might come with mechanical disk brakes depending on the stock they have? That's the impression I get from reading the spec on their website.
  • I bit the bullet and went for the Calibre. I don't mind it has smaller wheels than the Rockrider and it felt ok when I tried it in the shop earlier. Thanks for all the comments above, very much appreciated and time will tell if iade the right decision.
  • larkim
    I'd go for the calibre.

Looks like the 540 might come with mechanical disk brakes depending on the stock they have? That's the impression I get from reading the spec on their website.
    "BRAKES
    Hayes Radar hydraulic disc brakes on the front and rear, with 160 mm discs.

OR B'Twin by Tektro hydraulic disc brakes on the front and rear, with 160 mm discs.

Hydraulic brakes are more powerful and gradual, requiring much less effort to be applied to the levers."

You might get Tektro or Hayes depending on stock, but both are hydro.
  • larkim wrote:
    I'd go for the calibre.

"BRAKES
    Hayes Radar hydraulic disc brakes on the front and rear, with 160 mm discs.

OR B'Twin by Tektro hydraulic disc brakes on the front and rear, with 160 mm discs.

Hydraulic brakes are more powerful and gradual, requiring much less effort to be applied to the levers."

You might get Tektro or Hayes depending on stock, but both are hydro.

My bad, don't know what I was reading. I'd still go for the calibre tho.
  • astilla wrote:
    I bit the bullet and went for the Calibre. I don't mind it has smaller wheels than the Rockrider and it felt ok when I tried it in the shop earlier. Thanks for all the comments above, very much appreciated and time will tell if iade the right decision.

Here's my thread about my bike: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13077685

Admittedly I've changed quite a lot on it, but to be honest, nothing *needed* to be changed. Everything worked and did the job.
    The limiting factor is me by far, rather than the bike or any part of it.