Prize jerseys - why is the zip at the back?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited September 2017 in Pro race
With flapping jerseys displaying bib shorts, HRMs and generally skinny white chests demonstrating that most cycling jerseys that are actually used zip up at the front, why does the maillot jaune, maglia rosa, maillot rojo etc zip up at the back on the podiums? Is it just for the neat display of the sponsors logos, or something else?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited September 2017
    larkim wrote:
    Is it just for the neat display of the sponsors logos
    This basically. It also makes it easy to print the team logo on the front in quick time. It allows for a full zip which makes putting it on more graceful
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    So no historical reason of old fashioned jersey's zipping up at the back? Disappointing! Was hoping for something more significant, with at least a famous anecdote associated with it!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    its just for show purposes. they dont need a zip at the front to stand on a podium.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's to stop them wriggling out of them before the sponsors have had their money's worth. Bit like a modern day strait-jacket.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    The interesting thing about it as well is they are usually long sleeved and not the actual jersey they wear the next day obviously.