Greatest British Cyclist

12345679»

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    mike6 wrote:
    I was born to British parents in another country and I've always considered myself British first and foremost so I find Froome's position quite normal.

Difference being he doesn't live in the UK and never (as far as I'm aware) has.

Whatever, if he genuinely feels he's British, then he is. I just never get the impression that he does.

I dont understand this statement at all. What would he gain from pretending to feel British? His grandparents are British, his parents are British, he is a British passport holder, ergo he is British.

I think the main reason for Froome having a British passport is because it benefits him as a cyclist, being part of the British system, getting into sky etc has all helped get him where he is. Had he stayed with a Kenyan one I think his development would have suffered(not that i think this is how it should be).

I also don't think he gets on with the Kenyan cycling body, he doesn't have anything positive to say about them. He talks about how the Kenyan cycling body was willfully obstructive and apparently the guy he used to ride with in Kenya is still on their blacklist. Apparently they wouldn't send Froome to the 2006 world championships in Salzburg so he "broke into" their email account and entered himself (then promptly crashed into a commissaire :lol: )

See article from 2011 Vuelta (widely regarded as his breakthrough) on Inrng: http://inrng.com/2011/08/chris-froome-vuelta-leader/
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    Now Froome.
  • Beryl Burton

Thank you and good night.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    froome doesn't strike me as British in his heart tbh. but he is a bloody good cyclist... of note is how he has improved everything including overcoming his poor bike handling
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Beryl Burton

Just as you can't compare W.G. Grace and I.T Botham.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Bo Duke wrote:
    Beryl Burton

Just as you can't compare W.G. Grace and I.T Botham.

Thereby underscoring why trying to decide 'Greatest' is bobbins
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    inseine wrote:
    Not sure how aero the bell is!

Used to be a RTTC requirement, although as the previous poster says, it is a stopwatch.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Now Froome.

Nah, he needs variety on his palmares. Great GT rider though.
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    If Froome wins on Sunday it'll still be Burton. I might even chuck in Eileen 'the mighty atom' Sheridan into the mix, 4ft 11 and still going strong at 94!
    Great radio interview here http://thebikeshow.net/eileen-sheridan-the-mighty-atom/ , she did the end to end (870 miles) in 1954 in 59 hours and 7 minutes and held the fastest 1,000 mile record until 2002! Her first 12 hour was 237 miles in 1949 https://rouleur.cc/editorial/eileen-sheridan/
    Cracking photos of her here http://www.ttlegends.org/women-cyclists ... id=363&t=r
    eileen-sheridan2.jpg
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    The tyre pump seems as long as her knee to foot/sole length!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP