How to get faster in my case?

malakazmirly
malakazmirly Posts: 11
edited September 2017 in Training, fitness and health
I recently started cycling (two months ago) and today I did my first race just for fun because I'm quite slow. My average speed turned out to be 24km/h for this race (48.2km). I'm a 15 year old girl and I want to get faster as soon as possible to start competing for real. Cycling is a huge passion for me and I love it so much! My ultimate goal is to be as good as a pro cyclist. But for now, I'd like to get my average speed up to at least 30km/h, even better 35km/h. I currently train 3 times a week because I have school so not much time. On Wednesdays, I cycle for one hour or 90 minutes, on Saturdays and Sundays I cycle 2 hours per day. What training and what should I do to reach my first goal and get faster?

Here are my stats if that helps:
Height: 157,5cm
Weight: 41.2kg
Diet: Vegan (mostly because sometimes my mom forces me to have eggs or cheese but that's rare)
Female
15 years old (turning 16 in november)

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Join a club with youth riders and coaching.
  • Seriously, don't get obsessed with average speed. Average speed varies so much and is not necessarily an indicator of how fit or fast you are as it varies with terrain/wind/weather etc etc.
    maryka suggested joining a club, this is a very good suggestion. What clubs are available depends on your location but try and pick one that is interested in the style of racing you are interested in and as suggested has youth training and coaches.

You don't say what kind of race you did, a time trial or a bunched start circuit race for example, and these both require different kinds of efforts and therefore training.

However, to get your average speed up you need to break it down into shorter intervals and ride faster during those intervals, perhaps start with Tempo efforts or sweetspot intervals. This will make your average slower due to the rest in between, but over time will help you ride faster.
    I would suggest first of all it's important to enjoy your cycling and just ride your bike and throw some hard efforts in.

You could also read a good book like The Cyclists training bible by Joe Friel which will help you build a training programme, but don't get bogged down too soon with stuff like power meters, you don't need these yet.
  • OnTheRopes wrote:
    You could also read a good book like The Cyclists training bible by Joe Friel which will help you build a training programme, but don't get bogged down too soon with stuff like power meters, you don't need these yet.
    The advice in that book is unsuitable for a junior rider just starting out.

Else the rest I concur with - riding with other experienced riders and joining a club with a supportive culture is best way to both improve and to also enjoy it.
  • The advice in that book is unsuitable for a junior rider just starting out.

Else the rest I concur with - riding with other experienced riders and joining a club with a supportive culture is best way to both improve and to also enjoy it.

Fair point, I did hesitate before I added that.