MTB Tyres

Macdory
Macdory Posts: 113
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
I'm sure it has been asked 100's of times, but I've seen a fair few new tyres on the market this year and thought I would check with your experience before placing an order ...

I'm currently running 650b Smorgasbord on the back and a Chunky Monkey on the front for Cross Country/Trail riding. Some nasty cuts in the rubber from all the flint around here so looking to change them.

What would you recommend - would prefer something faster rolling, but need the protection ... also considering going tubeless, so something I could convert to tubeless later would be great.

Thank you

Comments

• jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR for me. Triple compound on the front, dual on the back.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Macdory
    jamski wrote:

Thanks - look really good, but can't find a pair for under £100 ... ouch!
  • good tyres cost real money. I ride in suffolk so lots of flint and the conti race kings I use during summer survive quite well. There are better tyres for grip though but you dont have to spend a lot to get something that does not cut badly.

vittoria tyres are quite robust too there are faster tyres though and tyres with better grip. They cost more!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Macdory wrote:
    jamski wrote:

Look at chain reaction. My front was £40ish I think, the triple compound is pricey. The rear is less than £30.

Those are for 27.5" wheels and the 2.3" wide.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Schwalbe snakeskin sidewall with the tread pattern of your choice, the snakeskin sidewall is pretty tough (I'm told by people who have used them, no direct experience). Ron front and Ralph rear for the use you describe.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Macdory
    jamski wrote:
    Macdory wrote:
    jamski wrote:

Look at chain reaction. My front was £40ish I think, the triple compound is pricey. The rear is less than £30.

Those are for 27.5" wheels and the 2.3" wide.

Thanks for the thought - unfortunately, hardly any stock of Maxis Minions left .. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q= ... 7.5&f=2247
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I run both smorgasbord and chunky monkeys tubeless, so don't let your existing (cheap!) setup preclude you from that.

Cheap on-one tyres that last 75% as long as expensive Maxxis tyres might mean the on-one's offer better overall value? Obviously the "same" tyre won't be faster rolling. But you pays your money...
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)