Share opinions on frame sizing.

Padang
Padang Posts: 25
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi fellow riders
Getting my first roadbike, previous from mtb.
Interesting on the specialized allez 2018 rb.
I'm about 163 cm (5 feet 4 inc) with 75 cm (29 inc) leg inseam.
The staff suggests a 52 size, for comfortable and easy adjustment.
But i thinks i would be comfortable on 49 size, for the reach and tt is much shorter and less stretching.
Asking opinions before purchasing one.
Thanks.

Comments

• I have same inseam and am 5'10 and think you may be right if you want a more upright position. Only consideration is that a larger bike will have a higher stack, so best solution may be to get the larger bike and then shorten the stem to match the reach of the smaller bike. Depending on how much you shorten it, it could have some effect on how it handles, but the shop should be willing to put a shorter stem on the 52 bike so you can try it. If they aren't, then I would go a to a different shop. I'm not an expert on this topic though.
  • Padang
    I have same inseam and am 5'10 and think you may be right if you want a more upright position. Only consideration is that a larger bike will have a higher stack, so best solution may be to get the larger bike and then shorten the stem to match the reach of the smaller bike. Depending on how much you shorten it, it could have some effect on how it handles, but the shop should be willing to put a shorter stem on the 52 bike so you can try it. If they aren't, then I would go a to a different shop. I'm not an expert on this topic though.
    Thanks for the opinion,
    I'm not really in the mode to shorten the stem yet, first time on a rb, i might try to learn to stretch out a little bit, if still not comfortable then will return to the ahop and make some adjustments.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Can you take both for a test ride?

Maybe go to a different shop that sells the same bike and ask their option - if both are the same they could be onto something.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Padang
    Can you take both for a test ride?

Maybe go to a different shop that sells the same bike and ask their option - if both are the same they could be onto something.

Thanks for the idea, already planning this weekend going to other specialized outlets, try 49 & 52 as comparison and get other opinions. + also do some Google on the topic and reading / discussion with fellow rider for similar experiences. All help are most welcome.
  • Padang
    Doing some reading recently, and notice the allez 2018 size 52 the spesh dealer recommended hv a stand over height at 755mm, compare to my inseam at 750mm, does that going to be any problem?
    I don't really notice the issue when testing it, to much into the reach / stretch feel.
  • timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    Padang, please let us know how you get on if you decide. I am trying to work out a 54/56 Allez 2018 but there are no 56s available for ages at Evans (going through cycle to work) but they have a 54 to try for a refundable deposit. I'm 5'10 and need a 56 in Trek so may fit either, though my impatience is veering me to the 54 which I can get next week
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Padang wrote:
    Hi fellow riders
    Getting my first roadbike, previous from mtb.
    Interesting on the specialized allez 2018 rb.
    I'm about 163 cm (5 feet 4 inc) with 75 cm (29 inc) leg inseam.
    The staff suggests a 52 size, for comfortable and easy adjustment.
    But i thinks i would be comfortable on 49 size, for the reach and tt is much shorter and less stretching.
    Asking opinions before purchasing one.
    Thanks.
    Hi Padang, I am 1.65mt (5'5") tall with 76cm (30inch) inseam and just for reference I ride a Canyon Ultimate in size XS with a 525mm ett and a Planet X Pro Carbon in size Small with a 530mm ett and I think you are right in thinking the 49 would be a better fit.
    IME a bike that is too big will never feel right and you will never get a good fit on it.
  • Padang
    timbo_tim wrote:
    Padang, please let us know how you get on if you decide. I am trying to work out a 54/56 Allez 2018 but there are no 56s available for ages at Evans (going through cycle to work) but they have a 54 to try for a refundable deposit. I'm 5'10 and need a 56 in Trek so may fit either, though my impatience is veering me to the 54 which I can get next week

Well do info you bro after the purchasing, since my appointment with the lbs hv to reschedule next week due to holiday, still waiting to try the 49.
    but from my reading and asking around most rider stuck between size like us, tent to choose the smaller size, and then adjust the stem & handlebar.
    Those familiar with working on bike/shop tent to suggest bigger size for beginner.
  • Padang
    Hi Padang, I am 1.65mt (5'5") tall with 76cm (30inch) inseam and just for reference I ride a Canyon Ultimate in size XS with a 525mm ett and a Planet X Pro Carbon in size Small with a 530mm ett and I think you are right in thinking the 49 would be a better fit.
    IME a bike that is too big will never feel right and you will never get a good fit on it.[/quote]

Hi, thanks for the sharing, we are some what similar in size.
    Since smaller size hv lower headtube, do u feel any pain/fatigue on the arm, neck or shoulder?
    How about when in drop? Is it ok?
  • diamonddog
    Head tubes are both about 125mm on my bikes with 15mm of spacers below and I have no problems with any of the pains you mention on longer rides. I do not have any problems when in the drops and I would recommend shallow drop and short reach bars for your bike.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    Head tubes are both about 125mm on my bikes with 15mm of spacers below and I have no problems with any of the pains you mention on longer rides. I do not have any problems when in the drops and I would recommend shallow drop and short reach bars for your bike.

Is the 15 mm spacers makes the total 125mm ht?
  • diamonddog
    No head tubes are 125mm plus the 15mm spacers under the stem. TBH I could lose 5mm or 10mm of spacers from under the stem and not have problems.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    No head tubes are 125mm plus the 15mm spacers under the stem. TBH I could lose 5mm or 10mm of spacers from under the stem and not have problems.

Oh that is a nice ht height, ok bro thanks.
  • diamonddog
    No prob pleasure
  • Hi already get the allez with 52, doing some tune up with the stem and sizing the ride is good this few km, will looking forward for more ride.
    Thanks for your opinion and experience sharing.

@timba_fit : just make sure to test both size and the bike stand over height is comfortable.