25th Wedding Anniversary bike trip

morgs2001
morgs2001 Posts: 159
edited October 2017 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone help with suggestions for a three to four day trip for my wife and I next year.
It needs to be somewhere the weather may be kind in June.I fancy Italy.
Mileage 50 to 60 mould be great and a start/finish at the same point close to an airport would be ideal so we can take our own bikes.
I know there are quite a lot of cycle ways in Italy and I've used a couple of them but I can't seem to find a really good route that does the job, any suggestions
Many thanks is for your replies.

Comments

• Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Morgs, great idea and I hope it works out for you. The mainline train goes into Milan Malpensa for example and there are also regular coaches to a number of cities (hourly to Turin if I recall correctly) so you could fly into Milan and move quite quickly to a preferred area. Ryan Air and Easy Jet have really expanded their network in recent years, for example Pisa - you could tour Tuscany: Lucca, Firenze, Siena, all gorgeous of course and the surrounding countryside is superb. Good luck!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Take a Ryanair flight from Stansted down to Biarritz. Plenty of cycling options not too far from there.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Try some Franche-Comte / Burgundy. Options to fly into and out of Basel / Mulhouse and Lyon. Lovely cycling routes, e.g. along the Doubs valley through Bescancon. Check out francevelotourisme.com.
    https://en.francevelotourisme.com/base- ... eurovelo-6

Get down towards Beaune, Meursault, good hotels, good wines, good place to celebrate an anniversary.

Plus easy options to take bikes on trains if you want to hop between places.
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    Take a Ryanair flight from Stansted down to Biarritz. Plenty of cycling options not too far from there.

+ many very good/michelin star restaurants in the spanish Basque Country, perfect treat for a wedding anniversay ;)

www.bikebasque.com
  • I did Munich to Venice for my 50'th birthday a couple of years ago via the Brenner Pass. I think that took 4 days on the bike. Fantastic ride, especially the day riding alongside Lake Garda to finish in Verona and then the final day with a very flat spin into Venice. What could be better for your 25'th wedding anniversary ?

Last year I did London to Paris along the fairly well known Donald Hirsch route (google it) which is pretty inspirational as well. I took 2 1/2 days on the bike, but you could perhaps linger a little longer at some of the cafes along the route.

PM me if you'd like some more info.
  • Two other options that would be very good.

Canal Du Midi - start Beziers and travel as far as you like and then get train back to Beziers.

Danube river - start from Passau and travel as far as you like and then get train or boat back to Passau.

We have done both and they are great.

Regards, Harry