2017 worlds

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,227
edited October 2017 in Pro race
Since we're actually watching build up races to the Worlds, it probably makes sense to look at the worlds route to work out who we ought to be looking at.

Men's circuit.

bergen2017-2-rr-v4.jpg

bergen2017-3-rrcircuit-v6.jpg

Women's

bergen2017-3-rrcircuit-v6.jpg

TT - this is bizarre

Men's

bergen2017-5-ittmenelite-v6.jpg

Women's

bergen2017-4-ittothers-v7.jpg

Comments

• rick_chasey
    So I read the hill in the men's road course as like a Surrey Hill; not unusually steep, certainly not long; around a 4-6 minute effort.

Am I talking bollocks?
  • i was thinking how strong the climbing Colomian team is right now - Quintana, Uran, Chaves, Lopez , Henoa, Atapuma, Pantano, Bernal ....

Looks like they will be working for Gaviria!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    So the men's TT has a nice old climb at the end? Geez... and the women don't get the climb?

Your assessment of the RR circuit climb (Salmon Hill) sounds about right...
  • rick_chasey
    11 laps is quite a lot, but the top of the climb is 10km before the finish...
  • dish_dash
    i was thinking how strong the climbing Colomian team is right now - Quintana, Uran, Chaves, Lopez , Henoa, Atapuma, Pantano, Bernal ....

Looks like they will be working for Gaviria!

May as well take a leaf out of Simon Jones' book and not bother taking up their allocation...
  • So I read the hill in the men's road course as like a Surrey Hill; not unusually steep, certainly not long; around a 4-6 minute effort.

Am I talking ****?

It's hardly the complete opposite to last year's course.
    Most of the sprinters will survive that.
    A good gale could sort them out though.
    The ITT course is a different matter.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    So I read the hill in the men's road course as like a Surrey Hill; not unusually steep, certainly not long; around a 4-6 minute effort.

Am I talking ****?

It's hardly the complete opposite to last year's course.
    Most of the sprinters will survive that.
    A good gale could sort them out though.
    The ITT course is a different matter.

I'm not so sure.

11 times up what is essentially Box Hill, if not a shade harder, will shake out most of the sprinters; as it did in the Olympics, which was what 9 times?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Bergen is f*cking hilly so they've done well to keep it to that I think! I walked up Mount Floyen, can't imagine riding a TT bike up it.

The coastal stuff could be very windy. I agree with Rick that 11 times up that hill will be a lot for most true sprinters, especially if some of the classics guys force it.
  • rick_chasey
    On the TT.

Will we see bike changes???
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    On the TT.

Will we see bike changes???
    I expect so. It is not only steep but also very windy and technical. I also think there are some steeper pitches than marked on that profile, it is not a very regular climb.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    The TT course seems a bit crazy, I can't recall anything similar at a World Champs. It's like riding a normal TT circuit and then sticking something like the Tumble on the end! It might suit someone like Froome or Thomas (not sure what the GB selection will be like) over an out-and-out TT rider like Martin or Kung. Possibly even one for Kiryenka, he's got plenty of practice at riding a hard and steady pace on climbs like that!

The road race is a hard one to predict, Sagan must be favourite to defend his jersey with Matthews maybe as second favourite. Gavaria is a possible though doesn't seem in the best of sprint form at the moment, Greipel and Kristoff could potentially survive the lumps. Kristoff and EBH offer a double threat on home turf but do they have a strong enough team? If raced hard enough it could get rid of the proper sprinters and see the punchy all rounders like Kwiatowski and Allaphillipe fighting it out (with Sagan and Matthews). It seems a good route as it offers chances to a wide range of riders.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    so will this be three in a row for Sagan ?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Obviously depends on the weather, but I think it'll be a bunch sprint of around 30-40 riders based on the course profile.

Of course, we have this every year in that we can only go on a profile so once the road races start we'll have a better view on the severity, or not, of the circuit.
  • Sagan obviously, Matthews, Kristoff and/or EBH, Cobrelli/Trentin, Gaviria, Greipel/Bauhuas/Degenkolb?, Demare (if there's a car handy) Bouhanni? should all make it over that, if the race isn't made hard earlier than usual.
    It looks a bit Milan-San Remoish to me.
    So obviously Kwiatkowski, Alaphillipe, GVA etc will look to stir things up.

Dumoulin would also fancy this ITT course.
  • rick_chasey
    Sagan obviously, Matthews, Kristoff and/or EBH, Cobrelli/Trentin, Gaviria, Greipel/Bauhuas/Degenkolb?, Demare (if there's a car handy) Bouhanni? should all make it over that, if the race isn't made hard earlier than usual.

Fancy a bet that Bouhanni won't make it over in contention?

I'll throw in another bet for Greipel too.
  • dish_dash
    Kristoff just saying that he and EBH will not be working together...
  • Sagan obviously, Matthews, Kristoff and/or EBH, Cobrelli/Trentin, Gaviria, Greipel/Bauhuas/Degenkolb?, Demare (if there's a car handy) Bouhanni? should all make it over that, if the race isn't made hard earlier than usual.

I'm not even sure he's in for selection. Hence the ?
    How many sprinters does it take for it to constitute a sprint?
  • rick_chasey
    Sagan obviously, Matthews, Kristoff and/or EBH, Cobrelli/Trentin, Gaviria, Greipel/Bauhuas/Degenkolb?, Demare (if there's a car handy) Bouhanni? should all make it over that, if the race isn't made hard earlier than usual.

I'm not even sure he's in for selection. Hence the ?
    How many sprinters does it take for it to constitute a sprint?

Why don't we let the collective forum decide? ;).

Nah but seriously, 11 times over that hill ought to shed most of the genuine sprinters and blunt the rest who do make it.

Fairly sure Kittel isn't riding, for example.
  • andyp
    Bouhanni hasn't been selected by the French Federation.
  • rick_chasey
    Didn't make the first big selection!
  • andyp
    Strangely, neither has Demare.
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    Strangely, neither has Demare.

Too hilly, non?
  • andyp
    If we're touting MSR type riders as potential winners, then no.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm not..!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    British teams:

MRR: Owain Doull, Pete Kennaugh, Adam Blythe, Mark Christian, Jon Dibben, Tao Geoghegan Hart, Ian Stannard, Ben Swift and Scott Thwaites.
    MTT: Chris Froome and Steve Cummings

WRR: Lizzie Deignan, Alice and Hannah Barnes, Elinor Barker, Dani King, Mel Lowther and Hayley Simmonds.
    WTT: Barker and H.Barnes
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    British teams:

MRR: Owain Doull, Pete Kennaugh, Adam Blythe, Mark Christian, Jon Dibben, Tao Geoghegan Hart, Ian Stannard, Ben Swift and Scott Thwaites.

No hope

MTT: Chris Froome

In with a shout
    MTT: Steve Cummings

Odd selection?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Odd selection?
    With Thomas not fit enough, surely he's the next best TTer. He's done as much as Dowsett lately and there's a big climb at the end of the course.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    So Gilbert's reccied the course, and he says the worlds will be "technical, hard and a long day".

So he's up for it.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    British teams:

No hope

MTT: Chris Froome

In with a shout

Odd selection?

National Champ innit
  • I struggle seeing beyond Belgies, a Slovak or a Pole for the RR