One Pro, Aqua Blue: funding?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited September 2017 in Pro race
How do teams with no title sponsor get their dosh? Rich owners?!?!?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Aqua Blue is backed by an Irish entrepreneur called Rick Delaney who said he was trying to launch an 'Amazon for bikes' off the back of the team. I have no idea how that's going.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,192
    RichN95 wrote:
    Aqua Blue is backed by an Irish entrepreneur called Rick Delaney who said he was trying to launch an 'Amazon for bikes' off the back of the team. I have no idea how that's going.

It exists at least: https://www.aquabluesport.com/
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097
    SecretSam wrote:

Do BMC sell enough bikes to fund a WT team with a top end budget?

The sport is increasingly a rich man's plaything; Andy Rihs, Bakala, Markov and, arguably, James Murdoch all sponsor teams for the love of the sport as much as for commercial reasons.

The cynic in me thinks it's some kind of tax avoidance ruse.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

The sport is increasingly a rich man's plaything; Andy Rihs, Bakala, Markov and, arguably, James Murdoch all sponsor teams for the love of the sport as much as for commercial reasons.
    I doubt Murdoch spends a penny of his own money.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    r0bh wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It exists at least: https://www.aquabluesport.com/

correct... but when you see the products and set-up of chainreaction/wiggle, bike24 etc. you can see how far they have to go to be even close. at the moment their website and inventory is like a corner bike shop.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

For sure. But we're what, 8 years in on the Sky sponsorship and I still don't understand what their goal is in backing a professional cycling team. There's no strong marketing reason, so we can only assume they do it because Murdoch wants to.
  • andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

For sure. But we're what, 8 years in on the Sky sponsorship and I still don't understand what their goal is in backing a professional cycling team. There's no strong marketing reason, so we can only assume they do it because Murdoch wants to.
    Could be a joke for the benefit of Murdoch. Having 'Sky' prominently displayed on screen, and discussed on 'not-Sky' TV channels. That's even before you get into newspaper coverage and the Murdoch/Dacre rivalry. A very expensive joke mind (although to Murdoch it is probably akin to we normal folk splashing £50 on an elaborate joke).
  • Actually Sky cycling was a useful tool pushing Sky Italia, and is probably doing good work advertising the new Sky Espana service.

I am really surprised that some of the big multinationals haven't got on board with cycling (there's only really Sky and Movistar, but they are both minnows in comparison to many companies).

Samsung had a brief secondary sponsor (a national office rather than head office?) dalliance. In global sporting terms cycling is cheap as chips compared to top flight football.

Still seen as a niche sport or still tainted by history?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Still seen as a niche sport or still tainted by history?

Both, probably
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

You can say that about most marketing. Coca-cola spend nearly $4billion a year. Everyone's heard of Coca-cola.

A friend of mine is involved in putting Admiral on Wales rugby shirts. It costs about £1m and he reckons has no commercial worth to them. Its worth is in the company, and by extension the employees and clients, is being involved in something which is a major part of Welsh life. It's a small part of their advertising budget.

I guess it may be similar with Sky. It's a small part of their advertising budget and they get to have a bit of fun with it.
  • andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

I always assumed SKY got on board as a way to tie themselves to British Cycling and a backdoor into the run up to the 2012 Olympic circus ... Then things got successful ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Aren't most team sports a rich man's play thing - certainly true of football and rugby?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,540
    RichN95 wrote:

A friend of mine is involved in putting Admiral on Wales rugby shirts. It costs about £1m and he reckons has no commercial worth to them. Its worth is in the company, and by extension the employees and clients, is being involved in something which is a major part of Welsh life. It's a small part of their advertising budget.

An advantage is getting bloody good tickets to anything the team you sponsor does.

Which is quite useful when all the intermediaries you use and partnerships you have are likely to enjoy the ruggers.

I mean, it's not like I don't take clients or potential clients out to the rugby, tennis, cricket, formula one, football, music concerts, etc, for example.

Certainly that's why places like UBS sponsor the F1; they have clients in more or less every country there, and they instantly get the serious VIP treatment.

This obviously doesn't work for cycling; other than a seat in the cars.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:

An advantage is getting bloody good tickets to anything the team you sponsor does.

Which is quite useful when all the intermediaries you use and partnerships you have are likely to enjoy the ruggers.

I mean, it's not like I don't take clients or potential clients out to the rugby, tennis, cricket, formula one, football, music concerts, etc, for example.

Certainly that's why places like UBS sponsor the F1; they have clients in more or less every country there, and they instantly get the serious VIP treatment.

This obviously doesn't work for cycling; other than a seat in the cars.

Correct Rick. My client was bmi airline a few years ago and they sponsored part of Twickenham. It was as much about getting the right people there for jollies as anything else, although clearly in the lounges at the stadium there'd be debenture holders etc who were also business leaders. I think that was £1.5m for 3 years across 2 lounges and some ad boards around the pitch.
  • I'm guessing Cycling is the only sport left for Sky (or anyone else) to get involved with that Emirates haven't already got sewn up....
  • Sun Dodger wrote:
    I'm guessing Cycling is the only sport left for Sky (or anyone else) to get involved with that Emirates haven't already got sewn up....
    Probably not too far from the truth
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,557
    Er... You've seen Team UAE - Fly Emirates right?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What about NFTO ?

They had a shop selling expensive outdoor kit but I've never seen any in real life ?
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

i think you have no clue about marketing, please stop

if sky would drop sponsorship tomorrow (lets assume they dont own the team like currently they are) they would find a new sponsor in the next 24 hours. for the same money.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,452
    cougie wrote:
    What about NFTO ?

They had a shop selling expensive outdoor kit but I've never seen any in real life ?

They don't exist as a team any more (although I think the club is still going). I don't think the clothing ever really took off. They had a really high end bike shop in Hereford but again the team was funded by someone from Hereford who had made a fortune in the defence and security industry and who had got into cycling in a big way. I haven't seen him around for a couple of years now though so don't know what happened.
  • dish_dash wrote:

Agreed, but when Sky started sponsoring a team at protour level UAE weren't sponsoring. So the original comment stands... it was one of the few sporting sponsorship opportunities not sponsored by Emirates/UAE/Ethiad etc
  • I think Aqua Blue have a better chance of funding than some of the others.

If they can get some traction in the retail arm then that will generate some funds (depending on margin on sales etc.).

There is also some brand affinity from shopping for bike stuff and supporting the team.

The Wiggle team gets good mileage out of the Womens Tour so there must be some ROI.
  • EnacheV wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

if sky would drop sponsorship tomorrow (lets assume they dont own the team like currently they are) they would find a new sponsor in the next 24 hours. for the same money.

Then I am confused....why do so many teams fold when they are looking for a fraction of the Sky budget and struggle to attract sponsors?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,587
    Markwb79 wrote:
    EnacheV wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Then I am confused....why do so many teams fold when they are looking for a fraction of the Sky budget and struggle to attract sponsors?

Because its a viscous circle - you need the top level success to gain the exposure that would make you an attractive proposition to pour millions into. A pro conti team may be 'cheap' but, who ever gets to see it in the wider context?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • dish_dash wrote:

Only when the camera is at the back of the peloton :wink:

Though to be fair, given how late they came in as a sponsor for '17, I think the impact of the UAE dollars is still to play out. Interested to see if Qatar and Abu Dhabi decide to come to the party.