What torque for carbon seatpost into seat tube

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited September 2017 in Workshop
I've just bought an Easton EC90 carbon seatpost for my Cube Agree carbon road bike. I've also bought a Torque wrench so I don't over-tighten it. However while the seatpost says on it a torque of 6nm required for clamping the saddle rails, it does not say what torque should be used to tighten the seatpost into the seat tube. I'd be grateful if you could advise me what the torque should be.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    It usually states the torque figure on the seatpost clamp and also it should state in the documentation that came with the seatpost. If you are using carbon grip paste it should be between 3 - 5nm. Surprised it doesn't show a figure on the Easton website https://www.eastoncycling.com/support/p ... seatposts/ you could try asking Cube.
  • Thanks DJ58. I've dug out the handbook I got with the Cube and it say the seatpost should be tightened to between 5 and 6nm, so I've tightened it to 5nm.

Just had a short ride to test it out this morning and it certainly seems more comfortable than the alloy seatpost.
  • For total peace of mind, use carbon grip paste. You should be able to get it nice and tight whilst having the torque relatively low and well under the recommended torque specs.

You should be able to get it nice and tight with 4 - 4.5nm if you use the paste. I have mine at 4nm without any issues despite the fact that the recommended spec for my clamp is 5nm, and the max given by the seatpost manufacturer (zipp) is 6nm.
  • For total peace of mind, use carbon grip paste. You should be able to get it nice and tight whilst having the torque relatively low and well under the recommended torque specs.

You should be able to get it nice and tight with 4 - 4.5nm if you use the paste. I have mine at 4nm without any issues despite the fact that the recommended spec for my clamp is 5nm, and the max given by the seatpost manufacturer (zipp) is 6nm.
    Thanks, yes I have used carbon paste as well.
  • You should be able to get it nice and tight with 4 - 4.5nm if you use the paste.
    As I've set mine at 5nm with carbon grip paste do you think that is okay or too tight?