Vuelta 2017: Stage 18: Suances - Santo Toribio de Liébana 169KM *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited December 2017 in Pro race
Stage 18: Suances - Santo Toribio de Liébana 169KM

The two climbs preceding the finish are the same as in 2012, when the stage finished at......................Fuente Dé. :wink:

Map:
CARTE.jpg

Profile:
PROFIL.png

Climbs:

Km 109.5 - Collada de Carmona.4.8 kilometre-long climb at 7.2% - category 3
Carmona1.gif

Km 126.0 - Collada de Ozalba6 kilometre-long climb at 6.6% - category 3
Ozalba+puentenansa.jpg

Km 139.7 - Collada de la Hoz7 kilometre-long climb at 6% - category 2
hoz+sobralape%C3%B1a.jpg

Km 169.0 - Alto de Santo Toribio de Liébana3.2 kilometre-long climb at 6.4% - category 3
Stp+toribio+de+liebana.jpg

Final kms:
PROFILKMS.png
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Contador took off in the Hermida desfiliado a couple of years ago.
  • BM5 wrote:
    Contador took off in the Hermida desfiliado a couple of years ago.

They'll still catch him.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Had an excellent holiday in Potes in July. Lovely part of the world.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    What is it with Spanish parcours graphs and using comic sans?
  • Everyone's getting excited about this stage and hoping that it could be an ambush day like Contador did to Purito, but I would love it if Sky turn the tables on their would be ambushers and Wout Poels attacks and gets himself into a podium position. Could turn the last few days into a tactical minefield.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    If I were Nibali, after yesterday I would follow Froome all the way to the 11% section 1km from home and put in a very cheeky dig to see if he could hold on. If he loses another handful of seconds today on a steep section its going to keep those questions live about whether he can ride a steep pitch well enough.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I have a question for you maestros:

Who red lined most in the combined TT stage 16 and yesterday's brutal stage 17?

Berti and Nibbes pushed the boat out on both days - have they tired themselves more than Froome?

Is it possible that in pulling those 42 seconds back on Froome after a massive TT than Nibbles struggled to get out of bed this morning? Maybe Froome will be in better shape, can Nibbles put in another massive performance, the third in a row to take time off Froome or will Froome steal a few back? Think of the combined effort of 16 and 17 and not just 17 in isolation.

Baldrick's cunning plan?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Someone's struggling with the idea that Froome simply struggled yday...

You want him to be human, right? Well yday he was just that. A human performance.
  • rick_chasey
    Because Nibs is well known for folding when he gets a sniff of victory in week 3.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Someone's struggling with the idea that Froome simply struggled yday...

You want him to be human, right? Well yday he was just that. A human performance.

Yup. The big question is was it just a jour sans, or illness/exhaustion?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • 1a0hkd.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Daniel Friebe reckons he looked ill on the rest day and actually looked worse than yesterday.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

He's ill.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Decent TT from a sick bloke if he's had it since the rest day.

I think Sky are too strong too mug. I can't see how Froome can be isolated.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

He's ill.

Confirmed?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    He couldn't have looked more like he had a cold on the rest day interview with Friebe had he tried.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    MrB123 wrote:
    Had an excellent holiday in Potes in July. Lovely part of the world.[/quote
    Totally agree
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    After the TT I thought that wasn't the kind of winning margin Froome would usually get over those guys. I hoped he was saving himself for yesterday, but he was obviously struggling. He didn't look great on Sierra Nevada either.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • He couldn't have looked more like he had a cold on the rest day interview with Friebe had he tried.

It has to be a fair bet, given that nine riders that came out of the same bunch and finished ahead of him.
    A couple OK, but nine strongly suggests all is not well.

Anyhows, we will see.
  • rick_chasey
    gsk82 wrote:
    After the TT I thought that wasn't the kind of winning margin Froome would usually get over those guys. I hoped he was saving himself for yesterday, but he was obviously struggling. He didn't look great on Sierra Nevada either.

Froome saying he might have gone too deep in the TT.

Maybe that brought on the illness.
  • He couldn't have looked more like he had a cold on the rest day interview with Friebe had he tried.

Totally and he looked wasted at the end yesterday. Poss he's run himself into the ground. I recon its now or never for everyone else. if theyre able to make it hard all day and then burn him on all three climbs. TASTY!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    BM5 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Had an excellent holiday in Potes in July. Lovely part of the world.[/quote
    Totally agree

We found a nice little bar with a terrace overlooking the river with a big outside flatscreen TV. Couldn't have worked out better. Out on the hills in the morning and then back mid-afternoon for a couple of cold Mahous watching the last hour or two of Le Tour.
  • Over 50kms in and as yet, no breakaway formed.
  • Julian Alaphilippe, Matteo Trentin (Quick Step), Alessandro De Marchi (BMC), Magnus Cort Nielsen (Orica-Scott), Nelson Oliveira, Marc Soler (Movistar), Patrick Konrad (Bora-Hansgrohe), Clément Chevrier, Alexis Gougeard (AG2R-La Mondiale), Toms Skujins (Cannondale-Drapac), Antwan Tolhoek (LottoNL-Jumbo), Matej Mohoric (UAE Team Emirates), Alexey Lutsenko (Astana), Sander Armée (Lotto-Soudal), Giovanni Visconti (Bahrain-Merida), Jérémy Maison, Anthony Roux (FDJ), Stéphane Rossetto (Cofidis), Sergio Pardilla (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) and Aldemar Reyes (Manzana-Postobón) have already opened a 2'50" gap

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Live now with 92.5kms to go.
    The break have 8 minutes and the peloton look to have come to a complete stop.
  • Just checked out his interviews after stage 16 and 17, there's nothing in them that suggests illness. That's not to say he isn't ill of course, exhaustion can bring on illness through weakening the immune system so it's not always an either / or answer illness or simply worn out.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    He was a bit guarded after stage 17, but then I think that's entirely natural given the line of questioning is basically "are you feeling crap, will you lose by the end of next week". OTOH, if he's just had his "contador" day, it could well be back to business as usual for the rest of the week.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Froome looks pretty good today. Looks like it was a blip to keep everyone else interested :)
  • rick_chasey
    Froome looks pretty good today. Looks like it was a blip to keep everyone else interested :)

How on earth can you tell?
  • 13'-15" gap as the break are almost over the first climb.