Simon Jones - Aussie Cycling

dish_dash
dish_dash Posts: 5,551
edited September 2017 in Pro race
12 years at British Cycling and then at Team Sky and in his first year in charge of Aussie cycling his winning approach means that the Aussie women don't take up their full allocation of places while the men do.

In his own words: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/09/cycling ... -unfilled/

Hmmmmm

PS. Was there not a Women's Cycling 2017 thread on here? I can't seem to find it any more...

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    That's pretty disappointing.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I'm sure there was a women's cycling thread on here.

Kinda sad, I can see his argument but it doesn't really ring true for me. I don't know why you wouldn't send the other slots just for the experience of being at the Worlds, I didn't buy that particular part of it.
  • Well, Chloe Hosking has launched an appeal over her non-selection: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/09/chloe-hosking-appeal-road-worlds-non-selection/
  • bobmcstuff wrote:

Kinda sad, I can see his argument but it doesn't really ring true for me. I don't know why you wouldn't send the other slots just for the experience of being at the Worlds, I didn't buy that particular part of it.

I have no problem with a thread on this, personally

Jones is coming up with bullsheet spin attempts, having learnt his trade from his BC and Sky periods in his career.

Aus have a fantastic roster of successful women riders to more than fill their allocation
    -
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    His logic makes no sense at all. He says that 50% of worlds have been won by exceptional riders in small teams (your Sagans, although also seems strange to use stats from men's races when women's races are quite different, but anyway), then says they don't have an exceptional rider.... So surely in that case you would take the biggest team you can to maximize your chances of a good but not exceptional rider winning?

Also seems like Jones has modeled his interview style on Brailsford - lots of words going round and round in circles but few clear statements
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Strangely Australia's only senior road race World Champion was only picked because he was too big a name to leave out. But he was left to do his own thing while the team all rode for Simon Gerrans.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I read the article and thought Jones was full of crap and muddled thinking.

Him talking about quality over quantity defeats his own argument with the omission of Chloe Hosking who is ranked eighth in the world and is the top ranked Aussie girl. The course may or may not suit her but can they really afford not to include someone with her experience who could make a real contribution for the selected rider? Is it at all fair? Its not as though she is currently sitting ranked 50th and an outlier choice.

If Cycling Australia support Jones view and choices then perhaps I have been mistaken and there really is a future place in Australian cycling for Shane Sutton.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:

I have no problem with a thread on this, personally
    -
    No me neither - that's not what I meant, i was referring to dish who was asking about the women's cycling thread.