Very upset

2»

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    It depends. 20mm of more travel on a worse quality fork could make the bike worse. Which is why I think it would be helpful to be specific in the make / model of both the bike and the replacement fork. I know it might seem a bit techy to get into those details, but if (say) they are replacing a Suntour XCR 80mm fork with a Rockshox Recon with 100mm of travel, that'd be great. But if it was the other way around, you'd be getting a worse deal.

Be as specific as you can, you'll get more help and guidance that way, at the moment its difficult to help you as you could be missing out on a good arrangement for the sake of some cosmetic issues, or you could be being completely diddled!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • They are sending me ALL TERRA 365 FORKS as the original but with 100 mm travel and not 80 mm as the original ones were.
  • They are sending me ALL TERRA 365 FORKS as the original but with 100 mm travel and not 80 mm as the original ones were. Sorry I meant ALL TERRA 565
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All Terra is the GT 'house' brand, so who knows what they actually are.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Its a bike for a 13 year old - its gonna get scratched and scraped - just let him go out and ride. He's not got long left of the school holidays.
  • larkim
    Apart from not being able to find any bikes with a ALL TERRA 365 FORK (the specs for the GT Aggressor suggest it is a a All Terra CH-565 fork) and then not being able to find any with a CH-565 fork in a 100mm variant (they all seem to be 80mm), I'd say you have one of two choices. Either tell them that you reject the 100mm fork, and insist that they either take a properly coloured fork off an identical bike that they have in stock and tell them if they don't do that then you'll put in a small claims court claim for the cost of the bike (you may or may not win here).

Or just ask them to post out the new fork so that you can check if it is as badly paint damaged as you anticipate. Its a black fork I suspect just with orange stickers. If the stickers can be removed (which I suspect they can easily) then you'd have no colour issues.

My only concern is that I do wonder if they are being completely honest with you about the replacement fork. I could not find a single instance of a bike with a All terra 565 100mm fork, which makes me suspicious that it even exists. And if they've told you it is a All Terra 365 fork, that doesn't exist at all.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    It's not hard

If they were faulty then tell them to feck off and either replace with correct forks or refund the bike.

If it was mis-use then either accept their offer or buy a new fork.

The crucial bit of information that you have not said is what the actual fault was and whether it was a faulty product or misuse.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    This thread needs a reboot, I think:

1. What make, model and year is the bike?
    2. What forks are currently fitted to the bike?
    3. What has actually happened to the forks? Is it a fault or damage?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • larkim
    I think I can answer 2 of those:-
    1 - gt aggressor expert 2017 (probably this one - http://www.jejamescycles.com/gt-aggress ... -2017.html )
    2 - original fork is described on there as "FORK All Terra CH-565, 26mm Stanchions, alloy Lower legs 80mm travel for 27.5 with V-Brake mounts"
    3 - we don't know, but on the basis that JE James are offering to replace FOC, I'm assuming a fault.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    :D:lol:
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • as the OP cant say what the orginal fork fault was I will asumme as we should all he does not know. in which case the OP cant be helped by us.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Well the forks arrived today so my husband took them with the bike to a local bike shop and they are too long so the man is talking about adding washers to make it all fit. Seems strange to me.
  • Harold47 wrote:
    Well the forks arrived today so my husband took them with the bike to a local bike shop and they are too long so the man is talking about adding washers to make it all fit. Seems strange to me.

If it's a new fork, the steerer tube will be longer than expected so it can be cut to length. Different sized frames will have longer or shorter head tubes ( the bit the fork goes through) so you can either cut it or add spacers (big washers so to speak) at the top so the whole assembly can be tightened. This is quite normal on a new fork never fitted to a bike previously.
  • The forks were deemed faulty because the seal was loose. They checked and offered the replacement. The replacement does not fit and I'm not convinced that adding several washers is safe. My son is also very upset as apparently he now doesn't have the susoension lock and reload on either side.
  • Harold47 wrote:
    The forks were deemed faulty because the seal was loose. They checked and offered the replacement. The replacement does not fit and I'm not convinced that adding several washers is safe. My son is also very upset as apparently he now doesn't have the susoension lock and reload on either side.

No bike shop is going to bodge up a bike just to make it fit making it potentially dangerous. The shop who supplied the fork are not going to offer an incompatible replacement. I am still convinced (unless you can provide photo evidence to the contrary) the washers you speak of are probably just spacers. All bikes come with them new to some extent. A new fork will have a very long tube at the top as it will not have been cut yet. The only other place washers would be used is in the brake cable or disc mounting. That's not dangerous and I doubt they would be the reason it supposedly doesn't fit.

Ultimately if you're not happy, go to Citizens Advice Bureau and get legal advice. But tbh it sounds like the job is being done satisfactory.
  • Harold47 wrote:
    he now doesn't have the susoension lock and reload on either side.
    It now sounds like the replacement forks are a lower spec than the originals. I'd be rejecting them too.
  • larkim
    This sounds like a classic case of trying to do the right thing (i.e. buy a bike which isn't "rubbish" from a retailer who should know enough) and then ending up scuppered because your own knowledge base doesn't help you argue the point when things do go wrong. It's how I generally feel when a car mechanic tells me something is broken and needs replacing - I know so little about the workings of a car that they could be completely fooling me, or I could be missing out on alternative options simply because I am less well informed than the mechanic.

As doomanic says, it does seem that the fork they've provided may be a lower spec, despite them telling you it was the same but just with a longer travel. I think that's what I was hinting at when I said I couldn't find any forks with the name you gave (or with the name as fitted to the bike per the specs) which had 100mm travel.

It depends how much you want to fight JE James. Your son will probably never use the lockout, and the pre-load adjustment does relatively little on forks like those fitted to that bike. So he might not miss out on anything, and the trade off is 20mm more travel potentially.

In terms of the bike shop fitting it with "washers", I think they mean "spacers", and that's perfectly normal - if nothing else it allows for some adjustments to make changes to the steering etc. But when you get it back, post some photos and the folks on here can take a look.