HR wrist watch??

chrishumes
chrishumes Posts: 227
edited September 2017 in Training, fitness and health
Im after a HR wrist watch, for running and cycling mainly, maybe a bit of swimming. Im just a fitness runner/cyclist so dont need in depth data, just to upload to strava really to monitor things. Had a apple watch but it was rubbish to be honest, and battery crap for cycling etc! Which one would you go for...garmin 235? Suunto spartan?

Got to look the part as well which makes me think suunto?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fenix 3 but you're best off with a Chest strap anyway.
  • Actually, a wrist based hrm might be more than fine...
    I use a Mio Link, no issues at all... and there's a newer model called Mio Fuse which also has readouts on the strap itself which would be useful for runners ( not need for me on a bike...).

(Do read Mio's guide to strap sizing and thye point out it should be worn above the wrist bone, which i do anyway... and when cycling some people may find wearing it upside down will be better due to the optical sensor contact when altering hand/arm position on a bike... i'm just fine as standard)

Here's a link to an ACTUAL review and test of Mio including hr comparison to a Garmin chest strap...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/12/fus ... eview.html
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611
    Just got a Garmin Vivoactive HR which I'm really pleased with so far.

It's replacing a dedicated Garmin running watch. It lacks the in depth training features of my old watch but it does a good range of stuff. Heart rate monitor seems to work well as far as I can tell. Even gives yardages on the golf course!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Can you get some kind HR wrist device that connects to my Garmin using ANT+?
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    I use a Garmin VivoActive HR and checked HRM against a strap. It was only a few %age points off difference so I am happy with that.

They've just released, or are about to, the vivoactive 3, which is an updated HR without making you look like you are ASBO tagged!!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    Garmin 230, comes in a lovely black and yellow colourscheme!

Just charging mine from new tonight, fits like a glove with no fingers, looking forward to donning it tomorrow, planning to wear it as a regular watch, as well as use it for running.

Behold:
    gallery-forerunner-230-img02-yellow-black.png

Also bought some screen protectors for pennies off the bay of e, as someone on here recommended them.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/g ... ate-50743/

Might be worth holding on for these to come out. I'm rather regretting just getting the current model.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    apreading wrote:

Yes - Mio Link as mentioned above.

I don't find wrist based monitors to be all that good though, compared to a chest strap.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    apreading wrote:

I don't find wrist based monitors to be all that good though, compared to a chest strap.

As WeezySwiss posted above – I’ve also tested my Garmin 810 + HR strap against my VivoActive HR and the difference in data has been negligible. I’ve been using mine since the start of the year and it’s been a superb bit of kit that covers my walking, hiking, swimming and I have it running along with my 810 when I’m riding with the latter taking data from my PM.

It’s well worth investing in IMO.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    apreading wrote:

As WeezySwiss posted above – I’ve also tested my Garmin 810 + HR strap against my VivoActive HR and the difference in data has been negligible. I’ve been using mine since the start of the year and it’s been a superb bit of kit that covers my walking, hiking, swimming and I have it running along with my 810 when I’m riding with the latter taking data from my PM.

It’s well worth investing in IMO.

Same here. I've used mine for over 12 months now. I get 9 days use on a single charge, but generally top up while I shower and it just works. HRM data I find very close to my Edge 800 + strap, which TBH I still use on the bike, but for day to day HR and running I track purely through the watch.

Great bit of kit, does everything I require
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Garmin 230, comes in a lovely black and yellow colourscheme!

Just charging mine from new tonight, fits like a glove with no fingers, looking forward to donning it tomorrow, planning to wear it as a regular watch, as well as use it for running.

Behold:

Also bought some screen protectors for pennies off the bay of e, as someone on here recommended them.

230 doesn't do HR although it will pair to a chest strap HR monitor.

It also doesn't do swimming eithr however I have read about a third party app you can install to measure some basic info.

FWIW I have the 230 and it's fine for running and what I need and will no doubt track and log your rides but you can't beat a bar mounted unit for the latter.
    Advocate of disc brakes.