Roller Noise Level

simplelad
simplelad Posts: 3
Hi,
I bought a 2nd hand set of Cyclops Aluminium Rollers with the Resistance Unit which I have used 3 times a week at least for the last few months. They have been brilliant for doing Z1 - Z3 and are decent for Threshold & VO2 Max Intervals. I find them way less boring and more road-like than a turbo. However, when I get over about 240w the noise starts to ramp up too. Over 300w there is a loud 'buzz' and a fair amount of rattling which is very loud over 350 / 400w. If you are downstairs in the house at the time it sounds like the place is about to fall down (according to wife & kids).

I tried re-housing the magnetic resistance unit as it sounds like it makes some contact with the drum which shouldn't happen. Not a soultion - even removed it altogether and swapped drums around to see if it was a bearings issue as claimed by 'Cycleops'. No luck the buzz appears to come from everywhere at these higher power outputs.

Has anybody faced of solved this issue at all or even improved it?

I think they are a great product and for spinning they are totally fine. I could live with buying new 'drums' @ £55 each but if they didn't solve the noise it would be a waste.

If I can't fix I have thought about buying Kreitlers but would be interested in feedback on how quiet they are at higher intensity as they are not cheap either.

Any experience / pointers are greatly appreciated.

Best,

Sandy

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    With rollers, the faster you go, the noisier they are.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    With rollers, the faster you go, the noisier they are.

^ Basically that. Get a good rubber mat or even two underneath to dampen vibrations being transmitted through the floor. With those three roller drumss and rubber band spinning around at crazy speed it is going to generate a fair bit of noise and vibration. Some of that could be tyre noise. Use the slickest tyres you can get or even a turbo specific tyre on the rear. See how you get on.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Some thick underlay might help....
  • Thanks for the responses so far - the type of mat you are suggesting, is it like this kind of stuff you are using http://www.floormats.co.uk/structural-p ... r-mat-20mm

I already have a mat under it (just to catch sweat really) and it sits on a carpet...I had wondered about a bit of MDF or similar. A mat that could be rolled up when not being used would be ideal.

I spoke with the company that sell / distribute Kreitler in the UK - they reckon at 300-400w you can still watch and listen to the TV (not even requiring earphones!)...seem an incredible claim, although the guy came across really genuine.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    simplelad wrote:
    Thanks for the responses so far - the type of mat you are suggesting, is it like this kind of stuff you are using http://www.floormats.co.uk/structural-p ... r-mat-20mm

I already have a mat under it (just to catch sweat really) and it sits on a carpet...I had wondered about a bit of MDF or similar. A mat that could be rolled up when not being used would be ideal.

I spoke with the company that sell / distribute Kreitler in the UK - they reckon at 300-400w you can still watch and listen to the TV (not even requiring earphones!)...seem an incredible claim, although the guy came across really genuine.

A hard surface like MDF is just going to help amplify the sound.You want something that is going to dampen it like thick rubber or dense foam.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.