Twisted rear mech

jsisidore
jsisidore Posts: 123
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
There was no fall nor collision. Hanger looks alright and mech too(vertically that is) just twisted, no chain skipping, gears shift smoothly. I just wonder how this happened after a few humps on the trail. If I will untwist it somehow, would that fix it or do I need to get a new one? It's SRAM x4. Should I assume that a more expensive mech is not made out of waffles or they are all delicate like that?
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm21/jsisidore/mech_zps22c5qj6n.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Picture doesn't work. Photobucket is dead, find another host. Or pay them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    If mech hanger is removable then remove it and ply on flat surface to see if it is twisted.

If not too bad hold in vice and untwist using water pump pliers.

Search eBay for replacement just in case
  • cooldad wrote:
    Picture doesn't work. Photobucket is dead, find another host. Or pay them.
    It is dead isn't it.
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    If mech hanger is removable then remove it and ply on flat surface to see if it is twisted.

If not too bad hold in vice and untwist using water pump pliers.

Search eBay for replacement just in case

It's not bent, the cage got twisted somehow, don't know how, maybe I missed the moment it got hit. I have untwisted it with my bare hands, it looks straight-ish but not sure if this made a difference. Are all mech cages made out of steel?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    jsisidore wrote:

It's not bent, the cage got twisted somehow, don't know how, maybe I missed the moment it got hit. I have untwisted it with my bare hands, it looks straight-ish but not sure if this made a difference. Are all mech cages made out of steel?

So it's the mech cage, you didn't explicitly say that. No matter, and yes they can get bent.

The cages are made from steel, aluminium alloy and carbon fibre. Steel is bent back without any worry, alloy too to some extent but carbon will have snapped.

You can remove the two bolts for the jockey wheel which. Allows one side of the cage to be removed and use a straight edge to align the cage halves when bending back.