De Rosa Nuovo Classico 2017

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited April 2018 in Your road bikes
After wanting a Primato a few years back i decided to buy this off an eBay seller to build up as a modern/retro Italian steel bike.

The bike will have an Athena Groupset fitted, Deda finishing kit and San Marco Regale Saddle. Still considering what to do about the wheels but I think a set of Zondas or some new Open Pros from Malcolm would be my preference.

The Groupet is my Christmas present from the wife so only 4 months to wait till I can ride it...

https://flickr.com/photos/153835028@N03 ... 8109286546

Comments

• bmxboy10
    Photos added!
  • You need a Flickr account to view the photos chap. Try using imgur, you can direct link the photos then too.
  • bmxboy10
    Does this work? What a faff.

https://imgur.com/gallery/guR5F
  • solboy10 wrote:
    Does this work? What a faff.

https://imgur.com/gallery/guR5F

It does, also if you copy the shortcut to the image (link) and insert it between InsertLinkHere it will embed it into your post...

CfC4Wth.jpg

I must say it's going to look absolutely stunning!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I think I was drooling visibly in the office looking at that. That looks lovely, looking forward to seeing the finished product. Not as much as the OP I bet.
  • bmxboy10
    mqvBT5L.jpg
  • bmxboy10
    fosS8Rv.jpg

V5RCOZp.jpg
  • Now that's going to look stupidly lovely - keep us updated on this one.

Hat.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    I'm getting a big fat ERECTION
  • bmxboy10
    Cheers guys. Opinions on which wheelset would be most welcome!
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Looking forward to this one!..
  • pnev
    Wheels... Something classy

Campagnolo Record hubs, laced to some polish alu rims... god knows what
  • bmxboy10
    Pnev wrote:

Been offered some like that but I think modern factory wheels
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Paintjob looks fantastic. Too good for a winter bike though :wink:

Zondas?
  • pnev
    Well I have some new Zonda's for sale at a cheap price if you're interested.... PM if interested
  • solboy10 wrote:
    Pnev wrote:

Been offered some like that but I think modern factory wheels

Spinergy s would rock on that.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Wheels should be Ambrosio hubs and rims. Maybe Sapim spokes?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bmxboy10
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Wheels should be Ambrosio hubs and rims. Maybe Sapim spokes?
    PX have some cheap Ambrosio rims ....
  • Forget about Ambrosio... what you want is a pair of H plus Son TB14... possibly in anodised grey, which would look so much better than the polished ones on your bike. I have them on my 1980s Sannino.

It's a stunning looking frame.

I would be tempted to ignore the obvious Athena groupset... Be bold... everybody fit Athena on those frames and none of them look particularly clever. If you really have to go 11 speed, then fit something decent, like Chorus, otherwise it would be very very clever to fit Dura Ace downtube shifters, which still exist, as indexed 10 speed.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... d|116087UK

The beauty is that you can fit any component you want around those, as long as you have a SHimano 9-10 sp derailleur and 10 speed cassette.
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
    Forget about Ambrosio... what you want is a pair of H plus Son TB14... possibly in anodised grey, which would look so much better than the polished ones on your bike. I have them on my 1980s Sannino.

I would be tempted to ignore the obvious Athena groupset... Be bold... everybody fit Athena on those frames and none of them look particularly clever. If you really have to go 11 speed, then fit something decent, like Chorus, otherwise it would be very very clever to fit Dura Ace downtube shifters, which still exist, as indexed 10 speed.

The beauty is that you can fit any component you want around those, as long as you have a SHimano 9-10 sp derailleur and 10 speed cassette.

The Athena group set is already in the bag and was bought for a really good price and I have wanted Campagnolo for some time.

I have had a contact from another forum member who is selling a set of polished TB14S that you built. I am coming round to the idea but still think a "contemporary" Wheelset or a set of Zondas is the way to go. I didn't realise the TB14S were so wide or available in colours other than polished so I'll look into this.
  • I thought you said the groupset was a Christmas present... it's my birthday in three days, what are the chances of me getting anything other than a copy of the Arrivee magazine in the mail? :-)

Polished TB14 are nice, but grey are much nicer... they look more 1990 than 1980.
  • bmxboy10
    I thought you said the groupset was a Christmas present... it's my birthday in three days, what are the chances of me getting anything other than a copy of the Arrivee magazine in the mail? :-)

Polished TB14 are nice, but grey are much nicer... they look more 1990 than 1980.

A Christmas present that I bought now as the price was good and I think the Athena groupset has been replaced hence why I got a deal.
  • bmxboy10
    I thought you said the groupset was a Christmas present... it's my birthday in three days, what are the chances of me getting anything other than a copy of the Arrivee magazine in the mail? :-)

Anyway Ugo I thought you were "buying yourself" an Ultegra 8000 GS? :wink:
  • solboy10 wrote:

Anyway Ugo I thought you were "buying yourself" an Ultegra 8000 GS? :wink:

It was a thought in case I got some money from a publisher... the deal didn't happen, so I am in no rush to upgrade to 11 speed.
    The point is not about 11 speed, I am just not a big fan of Athena... don't like the Power Torque BB, don't like the plastic paddle shifters
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,180
    edited September 2017
    Found a photo... IMO grey TB 14 are the dogs and look meaner than polished silver rims on a period build... unless of course you want to go for a pair of tubular Ambrosio Nemesis (which I had before and were the super dogs)

sannino.jpg
  • bmxboy10
    Found a photo... IMO grey TB 14 are the dogs and look meaner than polished silver rims on a period build... unless of course you want to go for a pair of tubular Ambrosio Nemesis (which I had before and were the super dogs)

sannino.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

Yes I like them and spoke to Malcolm yesterday - the price works with the Miche hubs though Record would be my preference.

Still think modern factory wheels would work though.
  • bmxboy10
    Forget about Ambrosio... what you want is a pair of H plus Son TB14... possibly in anodised grey, which would look so much better than the polished ones on your bike. I have them on my 1980s Sannino.

Not that I am going to change my plan but I am curious why down tube shifters would be preferable other than to keep the bike looking vintage which its not. Just out of interest if someone was to go that route what brake levers and chain set would you go for? Don't like any of the Shimano brake levers that don't incorporate the STI part. Dura Ace chain sets in 7900 are like rocking horse poo.
  • solboy10 wrote:

Not that I am going to change my plan but I am curious why down tube shifters would be preferable other than to keep the bike looking vintage which its not. Just out of interest if someone was to go that route what brake levers and chain set would you go for? Don't like any of the Shimano brake levers that don't incorporate the STI part. Dura Ace chain sets in 7900 are like rocking horse poo.

DT indexed shifters are excellent and very simple to maintain. They also allow you to use any brake lever you want... there are loads of cheap brake only levers to choose from. SPA cycles make their own polished silver double chainsets... basically going DT free you from the slavery imposed by groupsets, where every bit need to match the others to work properly
  • solboy10 wrote:

sannino.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

Yes I like them and spoke to Malcolm yesterday - the price works with the Miche hubs though Record would be my preference.

Still think modern factory wheels would work though.

Agree, Zonda will work well too
  • gum hoods and drilled levers, what's not to like?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/trp- ... d|549048UK

TRP%20RRL%20Alloy%20Drop%20Bar%20Lever%20-%20Drilled%20-%20Pair.jpg