Are some bb's just destined to creak forever?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited September 2017 in Workshop
I have a Rose RS 3000 (BB30) that has creaked on and off the last 18months or so. I've taken it to about 4 bike shops and had it sent back to Rose twice. It always comes back. Last time they offered to try replacing the frame, but I was tired of having to send it back and forth (I use the bike to commute and also have to take time off work for collections/deliveries) and at the time the frame had stopped creaking. The last 4-5 months it's been creaking again, had it checked once more at a lbs, no fix. Is there anything else I can do other than ask for a replacement frame? Without wanting to sound too dramatic, the creaking is so irritating that it's putting me off cycling for fun.

Would a bb adapter be worth trying, or will it make no difference if it's a frame issue?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The curse of BB30. A conversion is IMO the only way to get around it. I switched to a Rotor 4624 BB which stopped the noise.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Just do a search here for 'BB30' and you will find loads of discussion along with recommended solutions. Some will tell you that they have used BB30 since they were a lad and never had any issues whereas others will tell you that theirs creaked and they solved the problem in such and such a way. Personally, when my BB30A Synapse started creaking, I fitted a C Bear BB - problem solved.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • If it is an issue with the frame itself, would a conversion still solve the creaking? My bike maintenance knowledge doesn't really extend too far beyond the very basic stuff.