Quick question on spirit/cleaner on chains

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited September 2017 in Workshop
This has been covered a lot in other threads so I will keep it brief and just get straight to the point - I have bought a bottle of white spirit, clean spirit and some flash all purpose lemon cleaner. Want to add to my chain cleaner tool and give my new propel's drive chain a once over.

Would clean spirit be the best and least 'harsh' to use on the chain and cassette?

Was going to order some branded citrus degreaser but want to done today and got impatient, plus the branded stuff is very overpriced.

Thanks

Comments

• White Spirit would be the least harmful. Also, pour the used WS in a jar and let set for 2 or more days as the gunk will settle to the bottom and you can pour off the clean solvent to be used again.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    The chain and cassette are not going to be worried by anything short of conc sulfuric acid.

Your frame paintwork is the problem. Avoid splashing and you should be OK. Personally I use the citrus stuff - safer.
  • KMC advise against solvents, especially in a chain cleaner

"Try to avoid a so-called ‘chain washing machine’ in combination with solvent. This will instantly ruin your chain."

http://www.kmcchain.eu/MAINTENANCE
  • shmooster wrote:
    KMC advise against solvents, especially in a chain cleaner

"Try to avoid a so-called ‘chain washing machine’ in combination with solvent. This will instantly ruin your chain."

http://www.kmcchain.eu/MAINTENANCE

Never quite sure why mfrs. advise against this. "This will instantly ruin your chain" is just rubbish. I've been soaking my KMC and other chains in white spirit for over 2 decades now and never had a problem. Hard to quantify mileage between mine and others chains as there are so many variables but I always get around 1/4 better mileage with chains that get soaked in WS than the chains that are just wiped down or soaked with other cleaners. As long as you apply enough lube that can flow to the places that need it you're fine. Nothing gets rid of old, dirty lube better than WS and more friendly to the environment when you recycle the used solvent rather than pouring other non-reusable cleaners down the drain.