The Eroica in Italy re strictness of bike rules

highlanddave
highlanddave Posts: 4
edited October 2017 in Vintage bikes forum
Has anyone experience of, or views on, the application of the bike rules at the Eroica in Italy. I did the uk one earlier this year and did not notice any checks at the start- though my perception was that 99% complied, but en route \I saw a carbon bike and a couple of others with modern gearing and shifters. Is the Italian one stricter?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Done it twice before it got 'trendy' and there's no scrutineering of bikes. The excruciating discomfort of toestraps and floppy 1980s shoes is part of the 'fun'. If you rocked-up on the finishing ramp for the longer event on a non-compliant bike they'd probably deny you the bottle of wine and photo
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    "they're only cheating themselves"
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Regulations seem longer than http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253590/
  • DOne it three times in the days when it was 10 Euro... nobody will check your bike... just don't show up with a Dogma and you'll be fine. It is an inclusive event... although these days the price makes it a bit exclusive
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks folks- a great help. Now to book!
  • Thanks folks- a great help. Now to book!

If you haven't booked your accomodation yet, you will find prices are crazy around Gaiole. If you go for an Agriturismo, they'll also try to flog you their wine and olive oil at 20 euro a bottle.
    There is the possibility to camp in town, but I don't know what is the arrangement these days. In my days we used to just turn up with a sleeping bag and kip at the local football ground, in the changing rooms.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Thanks folks- a great help. Now to book!

If you haven't booked your accomodation yet, you will find prices are crazy around Gaiole. .

Last year I booked accommodation in September but 18km away. 18km in Chiantishire is a PITA to be honest, it is like Devon with no straight or flat roads. I got lost riding back from Gaiole on the Friday and ended up in the middle of nowhere after dark, an Italian girl had to take me home in her Fiat 500!

This year I'm in Gaiole city center in a house with mates, it is costing us 28 euros / night each.

I think they look vaguely at the bikes at the start, concealed cables could be a problem as would clipless pedals. I saw someone on a mountain bike but he was a privateer riding with friends.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof wrote:
    Thanks folks- a great help. Now to book!

If you haven't booked your accomodation yet, you will find prices are crazy around Gaiole. .

Last year I booked accommodation in September but 18km away. 18km in Chiantishire is a PITA to be honest, it is like Devon with no straight or flat roads. I got lost riding back from Gaiole on the Friday and ended up in the middle of nowhere after dark, an Italian girl had to take me home in her Fiat 500!

This year I'm in Gaiole city center in a house with mates, it is costing us 28 euros / night each.

I think they look vaguely at the bikes at the start, concealed cables could be a problem as would clipless pedals. I saw someone on a mountain bike but he was a privateer riding with friends.

As a large group you can rent houses, which is not too expensive, but going solo or as a couple is very expensive.

Looks like your adventure could have ended in worse ways to be honest... :wink:
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    I got lost riding back from Gaiole on the Friday and ended up in the middle of nowhere after dark, an Italian girl had to take me home in her Fiat 500!

Looks like your adventure could have ended in worse ways to be honest... :wink:

Yes, a way of meeting people. She wasn't convinced my bike would fit in the back but once the wheels were off.

This year they were being moderately strict at the start. No Italian girls "per me" either, Stephanie has moved to the coast.

A German guy didn't get his start stamp because he had hidden cables although the bike looked pukka. Someone riding with us got through though... but being French much sneakier than the Germans. I told the German guy to hide a bit.

Clipless pedals don't seem to pose the same issues but next year might be different.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme