Adjusting my professional bike fit

DMurph23
DMurph23 Posts: 26
edited September 2017 in Training, fitness and health
Hi All,

Just a short message looking for either advice or similar experiences.

A couple of months ago I had a professional retul bike fit on my two bikes (winter and summer, different saddles). The major adjustments were saddle height increase (0.4cm on summer, 1cm on winter), saddle fore/aft (1cm forward for both), angle (-3' for both) and cleat position (all the way back).

Generally speaking, I was very happy with the service and fit. We also had a lot of discussion about belly to the top tube, tucking the arms in and stretching routines. My fitter is a highly-qualified biomechanical professional (not just bikes), a yoga enthusiast and a former elite cyclist.

From the start I experienced pressure/discomfort during longer rides. I was reluctant to make any changes as I attributed it to a 'bedding in' period. My fitter also instructed me that this change was quite big (I have an ambition to race) and would take time to adjust to.

Fast forward two months and I'm in a similar position and am now seeing wear marks on the saddle/bib shorts.

The water is muddied slightly in that I now believe my bib shorts are probably not the best fit (I have the DHB aerons and I probably need the next size up due to out of normal proportion thighs - big).

I'm planning to tackle this in two ways: better fitting bib shorts and a reduction in saddle height by 0.2cm increments until the discomfort ceases. However, I wanted to first create this post as I'm reluctant to overwrite a professional's fit.

Any input is really appreciated.

Comments

• chamois cream?
  • If you are not getting any aches and pains in your legs, and knees , leave the saddle where it is, but if you think your bib shorts are not the right size I would say they are causing the discomfort.
  • Go back to your fitter, you will have paid enough for it. If he is reputable, he ll make further adjustments as part of this service, if you are going to diy, you ve wasted your money.
  • Did he look to see how well you are sitting on the saddle? Is it supporting your sit bone correctly? Could be that the saddle is just not right for you. A narrower fit may help. A saddle that is not suitable for you will never be comfortable regardless of the fit.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Go back to your fitter, you will have paid enough for it. If he is reputable, he ll make further adjustments as part of this service, if you are going to diy, you ve wasted your money.
    I agree, he should be your first post of call.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    As above.
    I had a fit last week and part of what I paid for is follow up fits if I start to have any issues.
  • Dear All,

Thanks for your input. I have contacted the fitter as I share the same concerns a lot of you raise. Unfortunately I now live 320 miles away so a visit isn't entirely feasible.

I have attached a photo to show the rubbing marks on the saddle to see if it garners any further input.

Just to address a few points:
    - of course I use Chamois cream
    - I don't have any discomfort in my legs/knees at this height
    - I didn't have discomfort problems (in these bib shorts) prior to the bike fit. The bike fit was one of optimisation and not to address any ailments.

https://imgur.com/a/S9uhU