Causes of major play in crankset?

FSPTN
FSPTN Posts: 13
edited September 2017 in Workshop
I took the BB apart and installed new bearings, the old drive-side bearing cage had all but disintegrated, which was a shock because I bought the bike from a local bike shop second-hand but he said it was basically a new bike. I thought for sure when I popped in the new bearings it would be fixed but it's as bad as ever. The only other things in there are the cups and spindle, would wear on those cause it? When I cycle the bike the large chain ring wobbles back and forth and its teeth catch the outer edge of the front derailleur cage as it passes in and out. Or is it something to do with the cranks? I don't have a clue.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not sure what new bikes still come with cup and cone BB's

Unless the cranks are loose can't see what else it could be.

Can you fit a cartridge BB?

What bike is it?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FSPTN
    FSPTN Posts: 13
    It's a 'Coyote route 66' or something like that, a load of shite I know, I'm just looking to sell it. What I meant by 'new' is that the previous owner had supposedly barely ridden it, then like 4 months after I bought it it developed the play. I was only riding it once or twice a week too, and only like 15miles per cycle. I tightened the cranks as much as I could with a ratchet, how tight do they need to be? By the way I bought this bike like 5 years ago possibly more. Don't know about the cartridge BB, I'm a complete novice when it comes to bikes/bike maintenance. Could it be the cups and spindle? They didn't seem shockingly worn when I was cleaning them, but then I don't really know what to look for, anyway it seems like too much play for them to be responsible.

Something has to be causing it, though.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,559
    some photos of bb area / cranks would help
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny