Brakes on bar ends

Barrie the Slow
Barrie the Slow Posts: 9
edited September 2017 in Commuting general
I bought a 2nd hand Scott Speedster S30 which has after-market bar ends. I've never had bar ends before, It's been quite a revelation to me just how nice they are. They are very comfortable, bit more of an aero position, and the hand/arm orientation seems more natural, especially when trying to put some effort in. I guess that's why gym bikes have them. Also, even though it isn't so 'aero' the wider spacing of the hands seems to feel better too. So the bar ends are my preferred position.
But I don't like having no brakes on the bar ends. It means that I am constantly having to move the hands to the handlebars whenever I need to worry about having to brake which in traffic is most of the time. Is it possible to buy brakes to fit on the bar ends ? The current brakes are Scott's own side pulls and the gear shifts are Shimano and the derailleurs are Shimano 105.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Simply put, no.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They did exist back in the day. A little extension that clamped onto the levers. Possibly you can find them on eBay but they died out for a reason.
  • bar end tt levers with external cabling would work and you could fit in-line levers for the bars but there would be loads of exposed cable, it would look strange, and the braking might feel odd when your hands are on the extensions. Would also need straight extensions. google "tt levers" for an idea, similar to Andy post above.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pauls components Chim Chims. That's what people used to use.
  • cougie wrote:
    They did exist back in the day. A little extension that clamped onto the levers. Possibly you can find them on eBay but they died out for a reason.

Reason being braking from such a position offered limited control. If TT bikes have the brakes out wide I'd say that was for a good reason. It's harder to keep the bikecin a straight line when braking hard in a tucked position. Not saying it's dangerous but just not as stable