which group set?

ed325
ed325 Posts: 23
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, I got a shorter carbon frame which I want to build up.
I cant decide which group set to go for 105/sram force etc.
what would you use?

shorter%20bike_zpss6bd6ruk.jpg

Thanks Ed

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Well, how much do you want to spend..?
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    For a best bike, Ultegra DI2. Since they have just released new Ultegra you might be able to get the 'old' one at a good price.
  • ed325
    ed325 Posts: 23
    I have around £300 to spend on the group set so would be looking at second hand stuff.

Ed
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    In my opinion I'd go 105.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Dannbodge wrote:
    In my opinion I'd go 105.

This...

But I might wait a while. Shimano have just launched a new 105 front deraileur, FD-5801, which is meant to need less shifting force from your fingers and doesn't have that long shifting arm with a cable that rubs your calf. Trickled down tech from Dura Ace and Ultegra.

Ill bet they'll bring out a complete 105 groupset soon, then you'll either get the 5800 series at discount price, or can opt for the latest tech.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Depends how soon you want to be riding it. Personally I'd rather get new 105 than used (and therefore worn, marked or stolen or all 3;) ) Ultegra/Force. I doubt you'd get Red/DA secondhand for £300 unless it was definitely nicked
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Scrape another £100 together and get an Athena group set off CRC using BC membership discount
  • Shimano 5800 complete groupset £330 at Wiggle in sale
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    ed325 wrote:
    Hi, I got a shorter carbon frame which I want to build up.
    I cant decide which group set to go for 105/sram force etc.
    what would you use?

shorter%20bike_zpss6bd6ruk.jpg

Thanks Ed

Of those, 105 is comparable to SRAM Rival not Force which sits between Ultegra and Dura Ace. If you can find it for the money, I'd go Force 22, but it'll be tough on your budget. Shimano is smoother shifting, but I don't like the brake being part of the shift mechanism. SRAM is also instinctive for me. Rival 22 is a good groupset, so don't discount it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Yup, i'd go second-hand SRAM Rival. To be honest if sticking to mechanical there is little difference between 105 & Ultegra or Rival & Force. The difference is less than a well-cleaned set of cables and some weight in my experience. Best thing is go to a shop, sit on a bike with SRAM Vs Shimano and see what lever fits you hand best and, if you can try them, which 'action' you prefer.
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    Third vote for SRAM, Force 22 is a very good groupset.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Haven't used SRAM myself, but if you're okay with the different shifting with SRAM then may be a good option.
    For the others, I'd go with 105 as I can't really tell any difference between my 5800 and 6800 bikes.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    New (old version) 6800 Ultegra in the clearance areas of all the internet shops - very good, dirt cheap and you don't mind smashing it up as it's only Ultegra. Around £400 I think so a tad over budget but not much.

If you can track down Rival it's nicer to ride with but is more fanickity to live with.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd not be resting my frame up on the corner of a brick wall if i were you - you'll be lucky not to have scratched it already.

There really isn't much difference between group sets now - they're all decent.

What do you use now ? What do you prefer - that's the key.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    I have a full 10 speed SRAM Red group set I'm about to list if you're interested?