Schwalbe X-One rim seating issues

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited August 2017 in Cyclocross
I set up the above tyres tubeless last weekend and noticed the tyres didn't go on round. I put 80psi in before they were correctly seated on the rim. Unfortunately after 5 mins of riding on the first ride I got a double puncture which the sealant didn't seem to fix (quite disappointed, the holes weren't that big) so I put some tubes in. Since I was on a ride I didn't have a big track pump so put in a rideable pressure with a mini pump and carried on.

However, the tyres are one again very not-round now to be the point where it is noticeable and cycling along tarmac feels very bumpy. I haven't tried putting 80+psi in with the tubes to see if that seats them properly but I am not sure what is going on. I have never had clinichers not seat before, has anyone got a theory as to why this might be happening? Something to do with the tubeless tape I used?

Comments

• Jterrier
    Jterrier Posts: 97
    Are your rims actually tubeless ones, or are you trying to ghetto it? And if the latter, how are you doing it.
  • joey54321
    They are 'tubeless ready', whatever that means. I was told by the manufacturer all I need was tape, sealant and tyres.
  • Jterrier
    Ok. Next question, did you buy the actual tubeless version of the x-ones. They will be called microskin TL-easy.

Assuming you did, then what brand are the wheel rims. Some dont work so well without persuasion.

An x-one tire should seat at about 50psi, and there should be a loud bang; that's the beadhooks engaging. you should then see that the tire is equally on all way round, i.e. the circumferential line on the tire is all equal. The best way to achieve this is by using gallons of hot soapy water during the seating process, all way round the rim. Then pump like f*ck and watch all the bubbles around the entire wheel edge for uniformity. Seat it once, then do the sealant after unless you are super clever.

I have done this a million times and it either happens easily, or not at all. If you have to inflate them way up to seat them, they may not stay. You need to hear the bang, as cx tires are run at low pressures so you can't rely on 80psi to keep it on.
  • joey54321
    When I set them up tubeless I pumped them up high and the seated (but not with a bang, more a small groan). After this they seemed to hold air well while not riding (I didn't really get much of a chance to test it while riding as they punctured so quickly).

Since putting inner tubes in after the punctures on the ride they won't seat, even at higher pressures. I've never had an inner tubed clincher that refuses to seat properly so not really sure how to correct it. I haven't tried soapy water but I've never had to use soapy water when mounting any other tyre in 12 years of road cycling, so not sure why I would have to with these clinchers (when set up with a tube, as they are now).
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    joey54321 wrote:
    When I set them up tubeless I pumped them up high and the seated (but not with a bang, more a small groan). After this they seemed to hold air well while not riding (I didn't really get much of a chance to test it while riding as they punctured so quickly).

Since putting inner tubes in after the punctures on the ride they won't seat, even at higher pressures. I've never had an inner tubed clincher that refuses to seat properly so not really sure how to correct it. I haven't tried soapy water but I've never had to use soapy water when mounting any other tyre in 12 years of road cycling, so not sure why I would have to with these clinchers (when set up with a tube, as they are now).

Might seem a silly question but have you got your tape entered in the rim well? If its wide tape (e.g. you've used MTB tape) then it might be up the side of the rim, blocking he tyre bead from seating properly.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • joey54321
    My only thought is it is somehow the tape too. It is the narrowest one (21mm I think) that Stans make in a rim advertised as 19mm so should be fine, everything I read online says a bit wider is ok. I put it on by pulling it tight then running my thumb along each section as I put it on so it went on pretty smooth.
  • Jterrier
    Forget whatever you know about other clinchers, you need the soapy water to make the tire travel out and up into the bead hook. Its because they are designed to be tight, for obvious reasons.

Also, like someone else said, check your tape isn't clogging the bead.
  • joey54321
    Jterrier wrote:
    Forget whatever you know about other clinchers, you need the soapy water to make the tire travel out and up into the bead hook. Its because they are designed to be tight, for obvious reasons.

What do you mean by "they" are designed? The tyres or the rim? I had other tyres on the rim before hand so I am guessing its the tyres, though they weren't particularly difficult to fit, I've certainly had much tighter fitting tyres.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Ok, try this.

Follow all the above advice, then deflate it. Bash it with your palm all the way round the rim. Inflate it. It happens sometimes.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Jterrier
    joey54321 wrote:
    Jterrier wrote:

What do you mean by "they" are designed? The tyres or the rim? I had other tyres on the rim before hand so I am guessing its the tyres, though they weren't particularly difficult to fit, I've certainly had much tighter fitting tyres.

Ok, whatever. Just trying to help; that was the point of your post surely?
  • joey54321
    Jterrier wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:
    Jterrier wrote:

Ok, whatever. Just trying to help; that was the point of your post surely?

And I appreciate your help and was providing a bit more information. My post above was genuine with genuine questions, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic in any way.
  • joey54321
    So I changed the tyres over last night (because I had to, not because of the seating issue) and got the same thing.

The first tyre I pumped it up to 60psi, then back down to 20, wiggled it with my hand, then back up to 40 and all good.

The second I tried the above, which didn't work, so covered a sponge with a bit of water and fairly liquid and ran that round the tyre and bead rim and repeated the above which then did work!

So thanks everyone!