The Lady Diana thing

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited September 2017 in The cake stop
Since it is in the news... 20 years ago all the crying over Lady Diana...

From the media at the time and now at the anniversary, you'd think there weren't any rational people anywhere in the country and yes, of course it was a sad thing to happen.

My guess is of the people on here that remember it, the amount that had a cry would be very small indeed?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Thick Mike
    Thick Mike Posts: 337
    The amount of cry I did was none at all.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I just don't understand the hysteria that affected many people. To be balling your eyes out at the death of someone you never knew and to be quite frank they in turn wouldn't have given a fig about the demise of anyone else. Unless it was to play up to the cameras in a field of landmines.

I remember that the Goo clan spent a lovely day in the forest having a picnic whilst the rest of the nation shed crocodile tears at her funeral.

Sad that anyone should meet such a sad and sudden demise. But as a family we lost Mrs Goo's mother in a terrible road accident 2 years previous to Diana's death. Much loved of course but the nation didn't know about it and only family shed a tear.....just as it should be.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • I think I was more upset at Ayrton Senna's funeral.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I just remember coming downstairs on the Sunday it happened and wondering why Lisa Ianson (fairly sure it was her) was playing unnecessarily crap music on the radio.

Tragic for her and her family, of course. But as a national issue? Meh.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    I flew into Heathrow on the day of her funeral. Was through customs and out the door in record time because all the staff were in a rush to get back to the telly. Had to drive up to Knaresborough and had the A1 entirely to myself. Nicest experience ever arriving in U.K., but a sad way to get it I guess.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I can't remember meeting one single person who said they were moved to actually being upset about it. According to the news though you'd think everybody was upset.

I can remember immediately on hearing the news thinking "oh christ, there will be nothing else on TV for days". I can remember Tony Blair's media-trained pause-for-effect speech gaps reaching new incredibly irritating lengths, and I can remember going to the pub with mates. In the pub nobody mentioned it as everyone was in there to escape the crap and we had a great all dayer. That was back when pubs were great.

Surely the scale of the public outpouring was completely misreported and exaggerated.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I flew to Florida on the Sunday morning immediately after she was killed. The taxi driver who picked us up at Tampa said he was surprised we hadn't cancelled our holiday.....

Missed all that national outpouring of grief s***e :D
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    larkim wrote:
    I just remember coming downstairs on the Sunday it happened and wondering why Lisa Ianson (fairly sure it was her) was playing unnecessarily crap music on the radio.

I remember the crap on the radio. Me and the missus were just embarking on, err, adult stuff :oops:
    Really put a spanner in the works that morning :D
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Sad for her and her children. I had a normal day.
    Even less fussed 20 years on.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    And not one mention of Mavis Bingham, God rest her soul

viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=12950621&hilit=mavis&start=60

For the record, my missus blarted over Diana...I didn't.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Jeez stop and think a moment before starting a thread about how you weren't bothered by some event at the time and in its anniversary. You're bothered enough to start this thread about how un-bothered you are. In some way her death has bothered you. Her death and the reaction let's be honest here.

It bothered me a lot, I'll be honest about it. A person I had no care for when alive and less when dead. I don't care about any royals except Duke of Edinburgh and the queen purely because they've served their time. Got the benefits of their job but they've put in a bit more than the younger lot.

So FFS if you're posting a thread about how me you think it then you're a hypocrite!
    (insert a smilie face here to stop offence being taken)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    For the record, the media hype bothers me, not the event.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oh it was really sad. We didn't go out on the bikes that day. Woke up to the news.. No crying though but you're a bit odd of the death of a young mother isn't sad for you.

We went to Sainsbury's. In hindsight we should have gone out on the bikes.
  • tangled_metal
    The death of anyone is sad but tbh only for those who knew them surely. I bet those superfine of hers thought they did know her personally. But that was really part of her media skill I reckon. A true media performer.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    I remember the radio being put on by my mum and there was classical/dour music being played when normally there would have been music from 1960-80. We thought it was a request but it kept going on and on. Then the DJ (Radio 2 at the time) came on and said about the death of Princess Diana in Paris. Yes it was sad, yes she clearly touched some people in a positive/supportive manner when she was alive, but the mass hysteria at the time was crazy and I could not understand why. I did watch the funeral though, more out of curiosity and knowing that something similar was unlikely to occur again in my lifetime.
    Some people I knew were more visibly upset about the death of Diana than their own immediate family members.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • this I do not get

Some people I knew were more visibly upset about the death of Diana than their own immediate family members.

I could not give a sh1te then and do not give one now. I do remember at the time I had to keep my feelings to myself. From memory it was very much a male/female thing.

On the day of the funeral i went water ski-ing and the roads were empty but the ski park was packed.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Princes?

(the Water Ski club, not the mourners!)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    PBlakeney wrote:
    For the record, the media hype bothers me, not the event.
    Once again I'm in agreement with Blakey.
  • Princes?

(the Water Ski club, not the mourners!)

down the road with the poor people at Thorpe Park
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    An opportunity to express yourself ironically well and truly missed!

I washed the car and went for an MTB ride.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • tangled_metal
    I really don't know what I was doing. It was just another day for me. Seriously I have no idea. I even thought it was only 10 years ago when the anniversary programmes appeared on TV.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Yeah but was she murdered on instruction from Phillip? Driver who never normally drank, a "broken" seat belt and the missing Fiat..... early reports said she had survived with minor injuries and being treated for such... why embalm her? was she pregnant from her muslim lover?
    in life she was single handedly destroying the Royals, her death reinvented them, very handy.

20 years on, we are no nearer answering these vital questions :lol::lol::lol:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yeah the easiest trick in the book that - the old get the driver drunk and make him speed and make him crash and maker her not wear a seatbelt. Guaranteed results !
  • An opportunity to express yourself ironically well and truly missed!

I washed the car and went for an MTB ride.

a twenty year whoosh finally comes into land - not sure whether to thank you or not
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I was up and about at 7am, getting ready for Sunday morning football. I put the Liza on to watch Match of the Day and there was a photo of Princess Diana with "1961 - 1997". I commented to my dad and then asked him if Big Pete was available because "they have that huge lad up front who'll hammer us on set pieces, if we're not careful".

(I was 17, playing for a pub team that my dad managed)

If someone let's us know what day the funeral was, then I'll have a stab in the dark at what I was doing when it took place.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I was staying at a B&B with ex Mrs H in Stamford, having been to an engagement party the night before. I wandered down for breakfast, and the landlady was sobbing into the bacon, saying "they've killed her", over and over again. Didn't affect her cooking skills though, it was a cracking breakfast, lovely local bacon and sausages. I remember turning off the sombre music on the car radio on the drive back.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Oh and we won the match. Probably. We fuck1ng cleared up, that season.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    The only thing I remember about it was the football the following weekend...by that I mean the lack of it. All our Saturday and Sunday local league games were called off much to everyones annoyance. I can only imagine the league committees were full of old men who grew up in a period of royalism and thought we shouldn't play as a mark of respect. All the players just couldn't grasp why we shouldn't play, me included.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'll bite. The Sunday was an odd day, waking up to Jim Nauchtie on R4 and quickly grasping what had gone off. Trouble was there wasn't a lot to report on as nothing much changed beyond the initial news and I didn't follow it up, but did do my routine shouting at that c**t Blair on the tv when he did his bit of grabbing his share of the limelight with that awful awful speech outside of his church.

There was a bit of an atmosphere all week though, someone on Twitter recently got it right when he described it as tremendously exciting, all this news and the reaction to it and the fact that a Really Important Person has actually died and the whole world cares and is watching us, us British people dealing with it. I enjoyed that aspect of it a lot, esp seeing how the media and the peeeple were demanding that HM QE2 responded in the way The Sun etc demanded that she should, and how the snr royals nearly stuck it out for the week before they sadly caved in and came back to London to be seen to be correctly bothered about it all.

Funeral? I was a happy bachelor boy then and OH had said she wanted to to watch it on her own, which was great by me. I started watching though, and I did find it a bit weepy but that's how my head works - I can get a bit emosh just seeing people in distress, whether it's homeless folk in flooded Yank towns or starving children in a famine zone or a parent explaining the death of her infant. It's a known fact that it's contagious and the sight of the procession being accompanied by wailing mourners had my eyes leaking a bit, but it was at their reactions to it not that Dianna was dead. Then my mate from work showed up in a mood cos his wife was a blubbering mess so he thought he'd come and see me for some sanity. Sorry mate, wrong day :) He scooted off after about 10 mins.

It's been fun seeing it all again this week, and our kids asking what it was like and being able to give them the full info on what was a major part of British history. We have the same fun giving them the run-down on the collapse of the soviet bloc and the eastern European communist countries falling one by one, then the Berlin wall coming down and remembering seeing it on the news like it was yesterday when the guards stepped aside and the East Berliners started coming through.

Anyway.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Who?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools