Eurosport Player in the UK

germcevoy
germcevoy Posts: 414
edited September 2017 in Pro race
I'm rejigging my TV and broadband and packages with the aim of keeping it relatively cheap. This is meaning taking a basic package but I obviously need the cycling and Eurosport has always been my go to. How is Eurosport player these days? I'd be watching via ipad or chrome casting to TV?

Are all the races on there?
Quality ok?
Hilights packages available if I can't watch something live that day?
I always hear about streams with no commentary as well. Is this an issue?

Basically I just want to know if the player can be a solid replacement to having the channel available on TV. ANy feedback appreciated.

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    I use the player but used to have a computer plugged into the telly as a gaming/entertainment rig, and now just hook the lappy up tv via HDMI if I'm not at the computer, so I can't comment on how it works when casting but certainly no complaints. Good picture, no major issues with buffering.

The no commentary thing is on a different channel. They basically have a seperate feed that shows the host broadcast as soon as it goes live whether it's on the main channel yet or not. This is good because sometimes low-grade tennis overruns resulting in delays to the main broadcast, plus the sounds of a bike race with just the crowds, Motos and voices makes for a decent experience sometimes.

Edit:. One thing I keep meaning to look into is watch again function. No idea if that is in place.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Wondering about getting it myself. Maybe too late in the season?

But can you watch it on a Samsung Smart TV?

Or only a laptop/phone/tablet etc?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,207
    Markwb79 wrote:

Get a chrome cast and you can watch it on any TV with an HDMI. There isn't an app on the Samsung TV.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Markwb79 wrote:

Get a chrome cast and you can watch it on any TV with an HDMI. There isn't an app on the Samsung TV.

Cheers, yes I already have one. Crappy wifi sometimes.

Thanks a lot.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    If you already have Amazon Prime it's an add on subscription channel now - £6.99 per month. No contract.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Markwb79 wrote:

I don't know if the annual sub is for 12 months from sign up or only until the end of the calendar year. I've fired them an email.

Edit - Confirmed that the subscription runs for 12 months from your sign up. Not bad for £30.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Anyone having issues casting with the updated app? I'm getting maybe 20 seconds of casting before it freezes. Have tried through browser, Android phone and ipad.

Piece of junk again.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,192
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Anyone having issues casting with the updated app? I'm getting maybe 20 seconds of casting before it freezes. Have tried through browser, Android phone and ipad.

Piece of junk again.

Yes. Couldn't get it to work at all on a Fire Tablet over the weekend.
  • bobmcstuff
    What a load of rubbish. Useless gits.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Piece of junk again.
    I had this problem watching the Vuelta at the weekend via Airplay to an Apple TV from my iPhone.

In the end I realised it was when my phone was going into standby it was stopping the stream (this didn't used to happen with the older app). I found once I set it airplaying, if full screened the player on the phone (which was just black), then it kept my iPhone awake with a black screen and the stream worked.

Obviously they've screwed the app up and they need to fix it, but the work around did the job for me in the mean time.
  • bobmcstuff
    Graeme_S wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Piece of junk again.
    I had this problem watching the Vuelta at the weekend via Airplay to an Apple TV from my iPhone.

In the end I realised it was when my phone was going into standby it was stopping the stream (this didn't used to happen with the older app). I found once I set it airplaying, if full screened the player on the phone (which was just black), then it kept my iPhone awake with a black screen and the stream worked.

Obviously they've screwed the app up and they need to fix it, but the work around did the job for me in the mean time.
    I'm having no such luck. I thought that might be it but it's not.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,192
    It gave me a load of guff about enabling location services and even when I did this it claimed I wasn't in an allowed country or something. I usually use the website version with HDMI from laptop to TV which is still fine so it's not a complete disaster for me but still pretty rubbish
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    The app works on my iPad and on my Apple TV box but I can't log in from my Win 7 laptop or my mate's MacBook something. These say my email address is invalid and boot me out. If I access the My Account page from the iPad, it tells me I have no subscription but they are still taken my dosh every month

I emailed them 4 days ago and they said that they had some problems but would get back to me within 3 days. No heard a peep

They are getting some stick in the AppStore but seem incapable of correcting it. Until they fix it, they should go back to a previous working version
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    When the 'app' switched , it was very glitchy. eg that not allowed in location message.
    However, last week or so, it has settled down on Android and Windows platforms.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I can't access my account on a Win 7 machine, so in my case it's more on its back than settled down.
  • I did see an offer on Hotukdeals yesterday of a years subscription for £14.99. I'm in the middle of a years subsrciption for £20 so hope there'll be more offers early next year.

Overall it's okay. Don't have a problem with the updated app or through a connected pc. The only annoyance at the moment is ads appearing randomly during the broadcasts.
  • Eurosport Player has been updated in the past few weeks and one not so positive change is the removal of the ability to rewind live TV by 3 hours. It seems that now you can only do it to 5 minutes previously. Massively annoying, if I have it right as it means you can't join a programme underway and start it over. You have to wait for the programme to finish and then be added to the video archive (which may or may not happen).
  • bobmcstuff
    It was ok today, only froze every 20-30 minutes. Did dump me out with 1.8km to go though, arseholes.

That did mean I had to put up with Kirby's insane garbling, either he's got worse or I just haven't put up with him for a while.
  • BT TV is the cheapest way to get it on TV in HD. The eurosport app allows you to watch on mobile and laptop etc as well as stream to TV.

Theyre both different products, I have both and im watching the ToB on ipad at my desk :)
  • streaming from mobile to tv is influenced by the quality of the mobile device and of course the quality of the LAN connection.

I have improved performance using my macbookpro and a wired connection over my ipadpro and wireless, which in turn is better than my ipad 2 or iphone.